Whats hidden in the 3mm cupboard!

Stuart-AU

I am currently working on a pair of J72's a N10 and a J79 for my layout Emmyton.

Emmyton has about 30% of it's trackwork laid and will be a dual (non linked) level NER layout set around 1919-1921. It's a 12mm gauge layout which was made because at the time 13.5mm trackbed wasn't quite available, and 14.2mm I was warned away from due to percieved clearance issues.

My main work at the moment is scratchbuilding chassis and having got to the point where I'm happy with the method of doing it I believe it's definitely the best option. Kit supplied chassis tend to work on quite thin metal and I personally find them too flimsy.. I invariably end up buckling the etchings.

My Chassis are built with a method which I believe is roughly the same as several experienced 3mm modellers use and seems to work well and doesn't need an assembly jig.Once I am completely comfortable with making them I plan on writing an article on how I did them as it's quite a simple process and might make a useful article for people.

Well in my cupboard is a large GC based layout which measures 19feet long and a little over 8 feet wide the layout it's self is of the oval format

and will be added to the layout section in the coming months once I get a new camera to replace mine and take some up to date pictures but for now just getting it ready for it's next show in September.

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly in my cupboard any more but here are links to my two 3mm layouts and a continental TT layout I made in between. They are all now defunct.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/briargate.htm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/lightwood.htm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/ecclesford.htm

To be perfectly honest I started finding 3mm scale more and more like hard work and I've gone on to new things. Nothing to do with age or failing faculties, I just got fed up with it.

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Small 3mm treasure turned up amidst my stuff the other day: three unmade Peco spiked point packs complete with track bases and "TT21X nickel silver rail" machined and cut to suit assembly. Also on the packs are the words "universal true section flat bottom rail". Very ancient and dusty, but seem complete. Also two diecast wagon chassis with plastic wheels but no bodies or couplings. Best offer received by 6pm Sunday 26th Feb secures Stafford (now in 4mm) 01787 237564

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished dismantling my old 3mm layout so have a few very large boxes of stuff and lots of firewood. A surprising find was the amount of boxed/unused Triang TT track. interesting but they weigh alot, take alot of storage space and will never be used.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the gloat box /flat pack collection a good pile of Worsley Works etches - 3 GPO Mk1s and a 117 dmu come to hand- looking at work how best to build. But on bench are two 37/0 bodyshells from Bruce Smetham`s suppliers- lovely resin affairs with excellent whitemetal sideframes and resin tanks - body suited to Society bogie diesel chassis kits - need to dig one out now.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I too have been rummaging through some 3mm items which haven't seen the light of day for over a year. Not currently having a 3mm layout, I made a length of test track with Society track, and tried out my Tri-ang Class 31. It runs immaculately, crawls along at virtually 0 mph, and quiet as a mouse. Not bad for a 50+ year-old loco!

The DMU and Jinty run almost as well, certainly no worse than my kit-built efforts.

Lurking in the same cupboard were enough lengths of PCB and spare rail to make a couple of points - I sense a small 3mm project coming on!

• 2 weeks later...

Now then! Any thoughts as to what??

If I ever get a round tuit, a small industrial scene (34 by 14 inches, to be precise, on a leftover piece of ply, plus a fiddle yard), maybe three points in total, with a warehouse and engineers, and maybe a passenger line for a DMU at the back, with a hint of a station platform. All based on West Yorkshire in the steam/diesel transition.

I'll use existing stock, including some Tri-ang, fortunately all of the locos I have run pretty well. The real work will be making the buildings because I want something with a bit of relief, from plasticard or suchlike, so that rules out Scalescenes etc.

Rod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A recent rummage through my 3mm cupboard (well, box) revealed some copper-clad strips and odd bits of rail I’d once entertained hopes of making some turnouts with. It always seemed a step too far, and then I decided to take a break from 3mm scale. But being short of a project, on an impulse I decided to have a go. So I made an assembly jig from a block of balsa and some strips of card (see picture), and set to.

I was amazed how quicky it was done; far easier and quicker than making 3mm scale loco kits. The whole lot, including the jig, was done in about three evenings. I used an existing 3SMR turnout as a guide for the sleeper spacing and during assembly. The only track alignment tool I used apart from a ruler was a 12mm spacer I made from a piece of aluminium.

I did have to take up and re-solder the curved switchblade because I got the radius too tight (didn’t file the end thin enough so it didn’t fit snugly against the stock rail), likewise one of the check rails which got a bit gouged out of it through being hamfised with the Dremel cutting disc when isolating the switchblades from the frog (next time, if there is one, I think I’ll make the pieces separately).

The order I soldered the bits of rail was: straight stock rail, crossing vee rails, curved stock rail, check rails, switchblades.

All the above is a bit gung-ho and probably totally the wrong way of doing it, but I just wanted to see if I could, without buying any track gauges. The result is maybe not too pretty looking, but various locos and items of stock seem to go through it all right, though I won’t know for sure till it’s properly laid down and wired up.

So if you’re thinking of having a go at making your own turnouts, in any scale – have a go; if I can do it, you can!

post-14205-0-56947800-1351523275_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to get some from the supplier to 3SMR and they match 3mm Society 12mm track perfectly.

Steve

It must be slightly narrower than the stuff I've used then, which I got from the Society. Having said that, mine exactly matches that used on the 3SMR points I have.

Archived