Silly BR(S) livery question

Skinnylinny

Hi all,

Time to admit my ignorance here. I'm normally a GWR modeller (boo hiss!) but treated myself to one of the new Hornby Schools locos, specifically 30909 St Paul's, partly because I went to said school and have been wanting a model of its loco, but also because I found one converted from DCC to DC for £80-odd on eBay, and had to have it. However, as much as I'd have preferred it to be in BR green, this particular model is in lined black.

As I don't normally model post-nationalisation, I don't know enough about the liveries of the time to know what to match with this engine. Ideally I'd like two or three coaches, preferably of a similar detail level, that would match the loco in time and region. Would the Hornby Maunsell coaches in BR "Blood and Custard" suit, or should I be going for BR(S) green? I've not been able to track down the dates between which 30909 was painted black, so am having trouble deciding...

Many thanks,

James

Guest Belgian

Hi all,

Time to admit my ignorance here. I'm normally a GWR modeller (boo hiss!) but treated myself to one of the new Hornby Schools locos, specifically 30909 St Paul's, partly because I went to said school and have been wanting a model of its loco, but also because I found one converted from DCC to DC for £80-odd on eBay, and had to have it. However, as much as I'd have preferred it to be in BR green, this particular model is in lined black.

As I don't normally model post-nationalisation, I don't know enough about the liveries of the time to know what to match with this engine. Ideally I'd like two or three coaches, preferably of a similar detail level, that would match the loco in time and region. Would the Hornby Maunsell coaches in BR "Blood and Custard" suit, or should I be going for BR(S) green? I've not been able to track down the dates between which 30909 was painted black, so am having trouble deciding...

Many thanks,

James

Either will do, as green coaches still ran from Southern times into the mid 50s by which time green again became the 'correct' colour. It's up to you.

30909 was black until 8/8/58.

JE

Lined black livery was introduced from 1948, and green from 1956, so 'blood and custard' would be more appropriate for a black one. There were some that never got green after 1956 but 30909 was not one of them.

Either will do, as green coaches still ran from Southern times into the mid 50s by which time green again became the 'correct' colour. It's up to you.

But I assume James means the post 1956 green when he says BR(S). Coaches still in SR green would have been malachite not the olive available. Nevertheless, if 30909 was not repainted green until 1958 then yes, either coach livery would be OK.

Just to add to the above, my understanding is that Southern Region avoided corporate liveries for as long as possible. All BR Mk1 coaches were originally and unavoidably delivered in crimson/cream, and after 1956 went through the paint shop as soon as decently possible. Likewise Bulleid and Maunsell coaches which had crimson/cream applied reverted to a green finish, and by 1960 c/c had virtually disappeared.

Western Division was the most successful in keeping things "green", and there is much credible evidence to confirm that much coaching stock (not just the pre-grouping survivors) went straight from SR green to BR(S) green.

That said though, I like the BR c/c coach livery, and it would be my choice for an Era 4 train of corridor coaches.

PB

A (very) few crimson and cream sets lasted until 1963. Since all of the Schools were withdrawn by 1962, using green or crimson/cream coaches or a mixture of those would be correct, as several of the others here have also said.

You could do what I have done and paint one side in a different livery! I have a set of Lima mk1's (maroon) and have sprayed one side SR green-fairly easy because no lining needed and just the one colour. I await the scorn from the purists!

Ed

Ed, I did much the same with a Triang rake of mark 1 coaches when I was a teenager. With the Triang (and later, Hornby) mark 1s, the sides and roofs are separate mouldings so can be swapped around easily. Mine were crimson/cream on one side and green on the other, with the coloured plastic ends of the sides overpainted in black to match the ends, no one could tell as they couldn't see both sides at once!

No scorn from me - it is a good way of doubling the mileage of your dollarpounds!

Interesting response from SRman.

I am proposing to do the same with the tank locos (on my model of an enlarged double track mainline depiction of Exmouth) that are never "turned". One number on one side and another on the other. The problem is the smokebox number plate of course but some weathering and maybe only one digit changed should make it difficult to see the difference.

Eddie

Eddie, it would be even easier to disguise with a spam can or 'unrebuilt' MN (appropriate for your nom de plume!!), particularly if you wanted not just different names and numbers but livery variations as well. You would still have the smokebox number problem but all the upper surfaces are black so no one would see a colour divide! ;)

Archived