21PIN CHIPS, IN 8 PIN LOCOS ?

Rob Hayes

hi guys i need to pick your brains, i have many locos that are in time going to be added with dcc sound, but alot of them have 8 pin sockets, now for the quesitons,

are esu loksound v3.5 still available,

am i correct that only 21pin zimo chips are available,

are the new loksound v4 which i am dubious about due to the amount of failure reports coming in, are these available in 8pin and 21pin,

finally is is possible to get an adaptor for a 21 pin to fit to a 8pin loco,

the locos in question are Bachmann class 37s, 40s, 45s, 25s, 20s, and Hornby hsts, 31s, 56s, and Heljan 47s (however im worried about the chassis on these and may try making a new one from them, )

Hi rob, I can answer most of them -

are esu loksound v3.5 still available? - Only secondhand I'm afraid.

am i correct that only 21pin zimo chips are available? - No, you can get 8pin too.

are the new loksound v4 available in 8pin and 21pin, - Yes.

finally is is possible to get an adaptor for a 21 pin to fit to a 8pin loco? - Yes, I got some from my local model shop, but can be a bit of a squeeze to fit them in.

hth, kev.

thanks thats awsome, i realised after posting this i have been a bit lazy, but sometimes its hard to find up to date info, ive not run my locos in a since feb last year and i was at the time on a mad thrust to buy as many sound chips as possible, at that time i was told nowere had 3.5s as they had been discontiued and the v4 would not be out till september, at that time i was also told that there would be no 8pin which really disheartened me as i have so many 8pin locos. well looks like i dont need to worry , except i keep hearing that v4 decoders are going up in smoke, i wonder if thats due to people using the wrong ohm speakers. cheers rob

Hi Rob,

Both ESU and Zimo are available with 8 pin or 21 pin connections.

Avoid using adapters if you can. As Kev pointed out, they take up space and unnecessarilly add a further item in the electrical chain.

Use 8 pin decoders with 8 pin fitted locos since that will give you wires for your Function Outputs (Aux in lok parlance) that you do not get with 21-pin decoders. (although the latter will have solder pads).

Paul

Archived