Teesside Bridge & Engineering

Hello, does anyone have any information about this works its locos, internal user wagons, buildings, maps etc.

Seeing the previous post about Warners Foundry has inspired me to ask more about this interesting part of industrial Teesside.

Many Thanks 12CSVT.

Locos - The Industrial Railway Society publish books covering various areas / counties. These give full details of the privately owned locos used by the various concerns operating withing the area. Some give site maps as well.

Maps - I don't know where you live but if you contact the County Record Office or Local Studies Library for the area you want, they should have copies of all the Ordnance Survey maps that have ever been made. The whole country is covered by maps at 25 inches to the mile and some urban areas are covered at 125 in/mile. Various editions were made from time to time so you may be spoilt for choice for which date you want or need for your purposes. The 25in maps of Derbyshire for about 1900 are available on a CD, other counties may be too. You are normally allowed to make photocopies for personal use. If you can't get to the CRO / LSL yourself, the staff can sometime make copies for you but it will cost. The Derbyshire CRO at Matlock did me some scans from the original documents of a proposed line from Macclesfield to Derby. Some CROs even let you photograph documents but others don't.

HTH

A few years ago when I was at the Ken Hoole Study Centre in Darlington, I came across a photographic archive relating to Teessidge Bridge & Engineering. I know there were many photographs relating to the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (and others) but can not recall other contents. However there might be something of interest to you there. It might be a bit of a wild goose chase, but give it ago. I think that the archive belonged to Darlington Borough Council and that the Study Centre was the custodian. Give them a call - opening times etc are on the Study Centre websi

Archived