Achnasheen, Kyle of Lochalsh Line - Freight services in the 1970s

Ben04uk

I asked a similar question some time ago regarding Garve, but my attention now turns to Achnasheen.

Does anyone know what goods services Achnasheen on the Kyle of Lochalsh line would have received in the 1970's? Domestic coal, general merchandise? I understand from various sources that is still had an active goods yard during this time and I think only closed to goods in 1983. Would anything have gone out the other way? I know it acted as a railhead for Gairloch and Kinlocheweand as it was located where the road split to Kyle.

What wagons would have been seen in the goods yard? Presumably just 16T mineral wagons and Vanfits, plus the odd ballast working stored on the siding.

Only to add re Garve, that there is an obviously recently used (2011 Sept) acess to rail from the road, with what looked like

some sort of road/railer movements. about 2 miles East of Garve station, where the line is breifly right between the road and the loch, and just for a few yards level with the road. I remember the Garve station road bridge the parapets of which were always being hit! And the mail being loaded onto the 'Agony Bus' backed right onto the platform. And the shop in the village ...

At least twice a year along that railway or road, for the last .. um .. 38 years. But not to Achnasheen, we always turn off (or used to catch the mail bus) for Ullapool.

Archived