14T, TTA, 100T tankers

DaveArkley

45T monobloc tanks (variously coded TTB/V/A (F?) depending on braking system) were introduced from 1963, but not built in significant numbers until around 1965. They're still in use today. The 102T bogies tanks were developed between 1965 and 1966 and were being built from 1967 onwards and bogie tanks from this era are still used today, but not in any significant number. A good book on the subject is Petroleum Rail Tanks of Britain, by R Tourret.

I can't tell you much about the 14T tanks as they're outside my sphere of interest.

HTH

The 14t tanks survived into the late 1960s, and beyond- the last examples in petroluem traffic being ones used for fuel oil (mid/late 1960s), with examples used for things like bitumen emulsion lasting into the early 1970s. Paul Bartlett's site has a wide selection:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pounbraked

I suspect that those shots showing vehicles later than the mid-1970s are ones used within industrial plants; there were some used in South Wales for tar from coking plants that certainly survived in main-line use into the 'TOPS' period.

Archived