Noisy 87XX Hornby Pannier - Runs Quietly only with the Body Off!

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I've got my 87XX/57XX Panniers out for a bit of detailing - 2 Baccys and a late Hornby one. The Baccys are dead quiet on the test metre, and the Hornby is pretty quiet with it's body off. When I put the body back on, it is very noisy - growly in the same sort of way that my tinplate Dublo is!

Nothing seems to be rubbing inside the Hornby body, so my guess is that the body is either "echoing" or vibrating.

The screw below the tank is tight, and the rear lugs above the rear beam are very snug.

Anyone know how to cure this because it's a great runner otherwise?

Thnaks in advance.

Typical Triang/Hornby tolerances resonating around the body. 2 cures:-

1. pack the body out with insulation

2. an old Model Railway Constructor had a mod that put a 12BA? screw in the X04, touching the armature shaft and adjustable to minimise play in the bearing. This also quietens it down.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I have packed out the tank sides and the front end of the boiler with rolled up kitchen roll.

It is much quieter, but it still growls at low power.

The X04 is only a 3-Pole motor. They do run a bit rough at lower voltages (It is sometimes called "cogging") as the armature "flips" between poles.

I presume you have cleaned out the "slots" in the commutator, and the comutator surface (carefully!). This can help a little.

The Airfix Motor Racing 5-Pole moter used to be a good swap (When they were available.)

Hang on. If the Loco is a very late pannier, it might have that Japenese Can Motor conversion. I don't know about them!

I agree about the extremely quiet Bachmann locos though.

I wonder if a spare chassis could be made to fit. Now there is a thought!

• RMweb Premium

Sarah, It's on a 3 pole motor sadly. Have already done the clean up to no avail.

Got a bit of a shopping list already - especially as Hornby 72XX and Bachmann GW ROD come out this year. So who knows in 2013 This might get sent to Evil Bay and I'll get another Bachmann one.

Sarah, It's on a 3 pole motor sadly. Have already done the clean up to no avail.

Got a bit of a shopping list already - especially as Hornby 72XX and Bachmann GW ROD come out this year. So who knows in 2013 This might get sent to Evil Bay and I'll get another Bachmann one.

Another thought is the Railroad 2721 Pannier Tank. I have one, and it runs well. (The same chassis should be under the Railroad Jinty.)

Maybe a chassis swap here? Or, as I am tempted to do, make up a rear wall and a longer roof.

I also have the original SSPP version re-painted in GWR Style "British Railways" livery (and an untouched spare body) .I was going to do a straight chassis swap with the Railroad one, but the body mountings have been modified. The new arrangement is a lot stronger than the two fillets of plastic on the older 2721s, but is not readily compatible.

The "Spare" 2721 on Ffrwd Locks.

DCP02600.jpg

Archived