High Level Lo rider bogie

musky

Bill

I used a LongRider to power the tender of a Jenny Lind single. The overall wheel base just happened to coincide and all I needed to do was to add an additional centre axle.

post-9472-0-49238500-1327780619.jpg post-9472-0-98988700-1327780646_thumb.jpg

This caused some imbalance in the suspension but nonetheless, it has provided a very effective drive train. I am sure that it would even work on a diesel - but I am not sure that my choice of wheels would help!

Best wishes

Eric

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi.

I have just purchased a couple of Highlevel LoRiders for my DMU's. Any advice on which wheels to use ('OO' gauge) and any construction tips would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Pretty well any 12mm disc wheels will do the job. Coach wheels will need the pinpoints filed back or use the 2mm rod supplied in the kits. (Class 21/29 needs spoked wheels.)

The kits go together very nicely but the intermediate gear shafts have a lot of small bits on them that readily disappear into space - washer, two minute bearings, gear - so you need good eyesight, illuminated magnifier, no handshake, tweezers and patience! The finished bogies whether long- or lo-rider are excellent. The instructions are first rate - just read them through first several times and then follow them carefully..

Alan

Archived