Class 87 roof detailing

NickL2008

Hi- For one of my current projects I am detailing the Lima version of 87006 in Virgin Trains livery. I have got to doing the roof. I wish to know if the roof colour of the Virgin liveryed 87s is the same or if it is different colour

Thanks in advance

NL

Hi tom- yeah its the flat part I needed to know about, which I think is reffered to as the "roof well" where all the isulators and Pantograph site ... Im gonna try my Railmatch paint anyway as there are several holes that need plugging. That said I wonder which colour would match the Lima Virgin grey?

NL

The colour is academic really, as in traffic it would soon get weathered with brake dirt and cr*p from the overhead.

I'm still looking for good roof shots (I'm sure I have some somewhere), but here's a good one of the pan end on 87002:

http://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/gallery.php?mode=p&pic=76|22

The darker panels are fibreglass (look at the strengthening ribs), and like other electrics, let daylight through to the corridor area in the body. Also note that the Lima roof is completely ficticious, the pan's insulators support cross members were moulded too close together to suit a pan Lima already used, and it's stuck to this day with Hornby's "model". Some locos (including 87002) also lost their square vents when damaged and had the holes plated over, one can be seen on the equipment side of the roof behind the pan in this shot, but there isn't one on the other end.....:

http://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/gallery.php?mode=p&pic=86|12

There's alot of work to be done on the roof if you want it to look right....

Hi 298 - yes I get what you mean, I did some research today and as you confirm, everything on the Lima roof is wrong! safe to say my instinct was right in buying the Hornby base to start things off with, for the pantograph .. a lot of filling and scartch building ahead .. Ive used the Hornby 86 isulators but I think theyre "too close" together

NL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived