Rochdale Show 2012

Andy C

We have become aware of rumours going around about the 2012 Rochdale Show most of which are totally incorrect and as usual posted in various places without any knowledge of the actual facts!

There will be no Rochdale show in 2012. The reason is purely down to the problems we experienced with the venue we have used for the past 10 years. Those who visited the show in November 2011 will be well aware there were problems with the usual refreshment area and that food and drink was not allowed in the main exhibition halls, causing problems for exhibitors and traders. It has become apparent over the last few months that this problem is not going to go away, and the venue was not prepared to co-operate on a workable solution acceptable to either party.

This problem is common to all of the educational establishments in Rochdale so we are faced with sourcing a suitable venue and the group, which actually only consists of 6 regular members, felt this is asking a bit too much in the timescale available. We have therefore regretfully decided to postpone the next show (our 50th in actual fact) until 2013 at the earliest to enable us to come to a good solution at OUR own pace, not someone elses.

It has been speculated on another forum (not RM web) that we lost money on the November 2011 show, can I categorically state that this is very far from the truth - in actual fact the surplus made on the last show makes the decision to postpone the 2012 show even more difficult and unpalatable to Rochdale MRG.

Andy Cooper

Hon Secretary

Rochdale MRG

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

You have my sympathies, it seems to be the case with most educational establishments not wanting to play ball with groups like ours. The main reason there will be no Rawtenstall exhibition this year was the school not being willing to give us our normal dates in October and only being offered something in February 2013, we therefore decided to concentrate our efforts on the Museum of Transport Exhibition in May.

You would think in this day of cutbacks they would welcome the extra revenue and try to accomodate us as much as possible within reason, luckily in our case the museum are more than happy to have events that bring in extra revenue for them.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the Rochdale situation.

The School problem effected us some years back, and as Savoyard points out you would think a extra income stream would be welcome at the present time.

Interesting enough I have just been to Stafford town centre to do some shopping and guess what, they are resurfacing the car parks.

It looked all right to me when I parked on it just before Xmas.

Barry or what!

Just a reminder that there is no Rochdale show in its traditional February spot this weekend, some of us are going to Stafford instead.

For me it will be the first time in 27 years Ive not been carrying large bits of barrier around and having a mega hangover on Sunday morning.

We will be back - watch this space

It'll seem strange not scrutinising the weather forecasts in the second half of the first week in Feb. and driving up on Friday afternoon. If it wasn't for going over to Stafford on Saturday, the words of a certain song spring to mind: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".

• RMweb Premium

Andy

As I said when I came to your last exhibition, there will be a warm welcome at Stafford for you all.

I will try and keep the snow at bay, so any singing should be done after the weekend.

All the best

Terry

This is an uneviable situation and sad to say affecting a really excellent modellers show, with superb hospitality.

I can fully sympathize with the uneviable position that you have been put in as being a member of the Porthmadog Show team we faced simliar problems in 2011 and were forced to cancel, due to a certain amount of intransigence from the local council facility.

However, we're back in 2012 in a slightly modified format and I am confident that Rochdale 2013 WILL be an event to be remembred!

Archived