Hornby china made class n2

hi all,I just need some help with a china made Hornby n2 loco. I just picked one up second hand, and the seller informed it it is a fairly slow loco as standard.

I paid almost nothing for it , and it appears well cared for so it's no big deal if i need to fix it up ( it's not a common loco where i am in australia), but i wanted to know if it was true,or if i may have a motor thats on it's last legs.

it's running well under half speed of my new Hornby class 3800 loco / Hornby class 24 to give you an idea. It also runs marginally quicker in reverse than forwards.

I have compleatly cleaned it up and oiled all parts, and while it's had some use, all gears seem ok and the wheels are clean, and everything seems as it should, it's just very slow :-?

If anyone has one and they can tell me if it's true, and save me from a motor change out, it would be great :-)

cheers

Not saying yours is a dud however I also have one which will happily haul eight Bachy Thompsons (standard metal wheels) comfortably at scale speed. On its own it has been rolled going flat out round "train set" curves...

Mine too is second hand however I remember the original owner buying it from new; there was initially a problem with it as I recall but it came back from Hornby in excellent condition. I haven't had to do anything to it since except for the usual wheel cleaning etc; it will purr along for hours in either direction.

Hope that helps,

Rob.

Edited as I've just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it!

Rob.

I have half a dozen bought at various times (modelling KX inner sub territory sio this class is a necessity) and they have been pretty consistent, on 12V DC will do a scale 90mph or thereabouts. That's about half the speed of a typical Hornby model on DC; don't forget this model was tooled by Airfix who had rather more scale leanings than Hornby, and despite a remotor the gearing is essentially as Airfix devised.

Provided there is no distress evident (motor getting really hot), I would say save your money. In reality 60mph was full chat on the services these locos operated on.

Thanks for the help,at a guess it seems a lil worn,and runs a lil warmer than normal.i,ve run her for a day or so and the motor does seem to earm up a little too much.i've found a place selling new motors fo these cheap,so i may change it out while u can still get them.

Archived