Help required - trying to recreate C&L Templates in Templot

Dungrange

I have never built track before, but plan to use three of the C&L turnout kits on a new layout. I have downloaded Templot to try and draw out my planned station throat to check the proposed turnouts would fit the planned baseboard dimensions. However, before going too far along this route, I would like to confirm the settings I need in Templot to recreate the C&L templates.

Can anyone advise on a few dimensions of the C&L components (and the corresponding settings in Templot)?

1. I assume that the flangeway gap in the preformed crossings is 1.0 mm in which case the ‘gauge’ should be set to 00-D0GAF.
  2. Are the C&L B switches semi-curved flexible switch (REA)?
  3. Are the preformed 1:7 crossings regular crossings (RAM) or CLM?

Finally, a Templot specific question, how to I set a curve making a join at both ends and allow the software to determine the appropriate radius / transition?

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
I would like to confirm the settings I need in Templot to recreate the C&L templates.

Hi David,

Already done for you: smile.gif

http://85a.co.uk/for...hp?post_id=2130

But you can just as easily build the C&L turnout kits on Templot's own templates, which gives you a lot more design flexibility.

Finally, a Templot specific question, how to I set a curve making a join at both ends and allow the software to determine the appropriate radius / transition?

Use the "make transition" function. There is a tutorial at:

http://www.templot.c.../make_trans.htm

and it's shown being used in many of the videos.

regards,

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Martin,

I realise that I could simply build on top of a Templot template, but since I was intending purchasing the pre-milled switch blades and pre-assembled common crossings I was looking to create a template that makes use of these components. However, having read the discussions on this thread on the advantages and disadvantages of the different 00 Finescale standards, I am no longer sure what I plan to do.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38726-handbuilding-turnouts-using-gauges/

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
I realise that I could simply build on top of a Templot template, but since I was intending purchasing the pre-milled switch blades and pre-assembled common crossings I was looking to create a template that makes use of these components.

Hi David,

You can use the C&L switch blades on any template which has the same switch deflection angle. That means for example that C&L "B" blades can be used on all B turnout templates, whether from C&L, Templot, EMGS, Scalefour Society, Exactoscale, or anyone else, and also for 12ft straight switches (only in Templot as far as I know).

Likewise C&L assembled crossings with 1.0mm flangeways can be used on all templates having 1.0mm flangeways. That means all 00-SF, DOGA-Fine, and EM templates.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin,

I had originally assumed that all B6 templates would be the same irrespective of supplier (assuming the gauge was the same) until I discovered what appeared to be a miriad of options in Templot, which is what prompted my initial query. So what exactly is the difference between the default straight B6 turnout when you start Templot (or the quick set 'CTRL-Q' option) and a B6 template from C&L? The only difference that I can see is the spacing of the point timbers. Is that the only difference?

Thanks for informing me that the "B" defines the switch deflection angle: I had assumed that this simply defined the length free to move. There again, I also thought that there was only one 00 'finescale' standard and now I have discovered a choice.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
So what exactly is the difference between the default straight B6 turnout when you start Templot (or the quick set 'CTRL-Q' option) and a B6 template from C&L?

Hi David,

A B-6 turnout in 00 gauge cannot be an exact scale model of a prototype B-6 because of the reduced track gauge, which also has the effect of shortening the turnout. So anyone producing 00 gauge templates must develop their own way of dealing with this, and not all 00 gauge B-6 templates will be the same.

The default 00 gauge templates in Templot are exact 4mm/ft scale representations of 4ft-1.5in bullhead track constructed using the REA bullhead components. The fact that no such prototype track exists is disregarded. It could be constructed full-size if so desired, and would be proper working railway track. The default settings in Templot are for "regular" pattern V-crossings and RAM unit angles, but these can easily be changed to "generic" V-crossings and/or CLM unit angles if you wish. (Regular V-crossings have a crossing entry straight and correspond to Type 3 turnouts in BRT. Generic V-crossings correspond to Type 1 turnouts in BRT.)

Only C&L can say how their templates are created, but as far as I can see they are based on exact 4mm scale templates for prototype 4ft-8.5in track, then photo-reduced down to 16.5mm gauge. This means of course that they are no longer to 4mm/ft scale. I think that's a daft thing to do, especially if you then go and build them with 4mm scale rail and components. But lots of people think otherwise, so it's really a matter of personal choice.

Here are some further notes about C&L templates in Templot: http://85a.co.uk/for...hp?post_id=2130

regards,

Martin.

Archived