Renumbering locos for BR(W)

Guest AlexTM

Hi folks,

Looking to do a BR(W) region themed layout set at the end of steam. At present I am looking toward the locos and stock before basing it in any particular part of the west.

Having recently acquired the current editions of classes 03 (with conical exhaust) and 08, both in green with wasp stripes I am simply looking to renumber them. Can anyone suggest any appropriate numbers?

Can anyone also tell me if they would have had route restriction (?) discs/transfers?

I have looked through a number of shunter books but none of them but none of them in the relevant body variation are clear enough to see the number, or there is doubt over location, or the pic doesn't reveal the detail (e.g. can't see the class 03 exhaust or the boxes & straps on the 08).

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

The 204hp shunters were listed as 'Uncoloured' so wouldn't have had a Route Availability disc. the 350s which went into Class 08 were original coded 'Yellow - if used for shunting only' or 'Blue - if used for any other purpose' although I'm reasonably sure without checking against photos that they actually had a Yellow RA disc.

• RMweb Premium

Any particular WR location in mind?

I'm happy to have a look at my 1964 Ian Allan Locoshed book if that's any help, it lists all locos in use and where they were allocated.

Hi again,

Thanks for the information Stationmaster.

Colin, thanks for the response. At the moment I am not 100% sure of location but I may look toward something based on the former Tanat Valley. I have always liked there after seeing an article on a model based on Porth-y-waen (in the RM). I am looking toward a freight only line and have plenty of background info, drawings, etc. I am not sure of depots in the area but I assume that Oswestry may be one of those that would be relevant. My ideal is to collect a number of small-ish diesels (e.g. 03, 08, 14, 22, etc.) that are BR(W) orientated even if they never ran on the line. Hope that all makes sense.

Again, many thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi again,

I have just came across the following site which, provided the background data is correct, answers the question of numbers:

http://www.brdatabase.info/

What I need now is to be able to tie numbers to pics.

If I could find out when the exhausts were changed on the 03s then that would help even further. I wonder if any were built with the 'flower pot' type? Unfortunately most of the pics I find are either of E/NE machines, or have had their chimneys 'done' and are in blue.

Still not aware as to what batches of 08s were built with visible strapping and with what boxes.

Again, thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. The above site lists my 08 (D3986) as a Western loco! Shedded at Tysley, Gloucester, Llanelly, Danygraig, and Landore during its life.

Hi again, I have just came across the following site which, provided the background data is correct, answers the question of numbers: http://www.brdatabase.info/
Ah beaten to it - I was going to suggest that site to you. If it helps my experience of that site (researching Devon/Cornwall allocations late 1950's/early '60s) is that it is pretty accurate, although I was able to cross-check most of my info gleaned from there against two other sources - but there are inevitably some "sillies" on it due to the nature and amount of work needed to compile the information.

edited for ommissions

Hi again,

I have just came across the following site which, provided the background data is correct, answers the question of numbers:

http://www.brdatabase.info/

What I need now is to be able to tie numbers to pics.

If I could find out when the exhausts were changed on the 03s then that would help even further. I wonder if any were built with the 'flower pot' type? Unfortunately most of the pics I find are either of E/NE machines, or have had their chimneys 'done' and are in blue.

Still not aware as to what batches of 08s were built with visible strapping and with what boxes.

Again, thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. The above site lists my 08 (D3986) as a Western loco! Shedded at Tysley, Gloucester, Llanelly, Danygraig, and Landore during its life.

D2000 -2032 were built with conical exhausts as were dept no's 91& 92 all the rest were built with the flower pot, but D2162 & 03129 acquired a variation on the conical exhaust later in life. D2000-55, D2082/3/4/5, D2370-1 had twin air horns from new the rest having single, but some variations happened later in life

Nigel

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks for all the information; it's all been useful and interesting. Also discovered that my copy of Marsden's shunter book is not the most recent; that, however, seems to be out of print. It seems a much heavier book so, I assume, there is a lot more information and pics in it.

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived