Possible layout based on Coombe Junction

Tankerman

• RMweb Gold

This is the first time I've actually started a topic so I hope I've put it in the right place. Having now retired, and the introduction of the Class 22 providing the incentive, I have been looking for a suitable track plan to fit in a space of 10' x 1'6". I would like to at least base it on a real location and I have been looking at Coombe Junction as it would allow it to become a through station if and when more space becomes available.

The track plan appears to be intended to allow a passenger train to wait clear of the 'main' line to allow a freight train to pass and is therefore somewhat different to the norm which also appeals to me.

My question is as follows - if the line from Looe is used as the track from the fiddle yard, could the line from Liskeard, connected directly to the platform loop and with the existing crossover from that line to the 'main' line removed, form the headshunt for a set of fictional sidings behind the platform without contravening any track/signalling rules. The resulting track layout will be used for a fictional station situated somewhere on the riverside at Penryn.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• RMweb Gold

Simple answer - yes, provided that headshunt has a trap point in it to protect the platform line from any runaways etc.

But a question - do you have permission from John Hinson to use his sketch I would suggest linking it would be a far better idea (especially if you haven't asked JH).

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have also, quite correctly, been contacted by one of the mods regarding the copyright issue. I had in fact checked on JH's website and it does give permission for 'private use', as this was a personal query, and not for profit or gain, on this site I assumed that it was covered by the private use statement. I have now emailed JH with a query on this and apologising if I have unwittingly breached his terms of use.

Archived