The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

1936 Chevrolet Assembly Line

shortliner

This is really awesome footage. A 1936 Chevrolet assembly factory.

Note the automation that was already in place, the workers lack of any

and all modern safety equipment, glasses and helmets, and they ALL know

exactly what to do and its getting done. Note also that when the body

comes together with the chassis that it is in FULL trim, Interior,

windshield, all glass etc. is already in place as it is dropped onto

the awaiting rolling chassis, "AMAZING". Simplicity at its best. Note

that while the metal finishers are checking the sheet metal for minute> and tiny flaws and defects that they are wearing heavy leather work> gloves. How would YOU like that repetitious job of placing 3 rivets in

the 3 holes on the chassis for about 35 to 40 years.

http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line

Guest dilbert

It was certainly highly mechanised and labour intensive. Automation didn't really start to kick until at the earliest the mid-70s when aspects of machinery started to become programmeable. Around the same time the Detroit big 3 were starting to suffer from the Japanese invasion where the quality was superior and giving better value (GM would supply a complete toolbox with a new car, whereas the Japanese would provide a couple of screwdrivers and four/five spanners - their argument being you don't need a complete toolbox with our cars). This era started to mark the trend from mass production to lean production, encompassing design to final product in the showroom.

As a student at that time, I had one summer job working in a factory that produced valves for gas pipelines. There were a couple of 'robot' lathes but most of the machining was labour intensive and boring as hell. There was an option of being paid at standard rate or taking the piece rate. Piece rate work was quite well paid and I did this for a couple of weeks, earning about £50 per week.

I was then approached by a union shop steward. He basically said "I appreciate you're a student and need the money, but please think about the people who have to do this type of job all their working lives". "Can you please slow down a little and keep the productivity guys off our backs?". I did slow down, because I couldn't do that type of work all my working life... dilbert

Thanks for that Jack. In the late 70's/early 80's we took a party of students (garage apprentices) to Fords at Dagenham when they were turning out Cortinas and Fiestas at a rate of knots.

The students were appalled at the monotony and asked the same question every year-"why don't they swap to different jobs?". The answer was that some jobs could omly just be done in the time allowed whilst others were much easier. When you got one of the better ones you not only hung on to it, but passed it on to friends and family.

Ed

Archived