ZTC and JMRI

Bibby Line

I use the 511's own route setting mechanism (presets), but then I havn't got loads of routes set up at the moment. I do know that after a while it's 'presets' memory will fill up (dependant upon no of presets and the size of each one), and I'll have to plug a memory extention chip in.

Routes in JMRI are a sequences of turnout instructions. If turnout operations work to the ZTC, but routes fail to operate, then it may be that the commands are going too fast for the ZTC and some delay is required in the sequence of turnouts thrown by the route (setting in JMRI for the route).

Routes inside a command station (such as the ZTC unit) may or may not be possible to be controlled externally.

I have succesfully used the ZTC640 with route setting and JMRI, plus the JMRI throttle and Withrottle. It all works.

You cannot interface to the internal routes of the 511, they have to be set within JMRI.

Also, what you cannot do is use the ZTC640 to programme decoders - you still need a Sprog etc.

Also, what you cannot do is use the ZTC640 to programme decoders - you still need a Sprog etc.

Is this because the 511 won't know what the commands are that are coming from JMRI via the 640, and will just pass them straight to the track, so if they were programming commands every loco on the track would get them rather than just locos on the programming track ?.

I have succesfully used the ZTC640 with route setting and JMRI, plus the JMRI throttle and Withrottle. It all works.

You cannot interface to the internal routes of the 511, they have to be set within JMRI.

Tim,

That's really interesting info. How many functions are available when using the WiThrottle,please?

What version of Windows do you use with this set up?

Kind regards,

Paul

Is this because the 511 won't know what the commands are that are coming from JMRI via the 640, and will just pass them straight to the track, so if they were programming commands every loco on the track would get them rather than just locos on the programming track ?.

I no longer have my ZTCs, but I would say from memory, that other than basic operating commands from JMRI, the remainder are ignored. Reading the jmri summary - just don't expect 'programming' to work from jmri via the 640. Only basic loco control (and perhaps easier use of functions than on the ZTC itself!) as well as accessory control. The STOP command may not operate/release as you want via the interface - all or nothing.

Tim,

That's really interesting info. How many functions are available when using the WiThrottle,please?

What version of Windows do you use with this set up?

Kind regards,

Paul

WiThrottle has 13 functions in the free version and I think its over 20 in the paid version (not that expensive anyway).

I've had JMRI with WiThrottle server running on both XP and Windows 7.

Don't forget you need a wireless router in between the two although theoretically you can use direct networking in Win7 its not as good as a proper router to go through.

I use the Android version of Withrottle, which is the full version and free. Yes, the 640 will support as many functions as JMRI gives.

As Craig says, you need a wireless router if you are using Windows XP (like me), any router will do, and for railway use, no need to connect to the internet. For testing at home, I use it via the main wireless. I have another router for use in the garage to run trains, and when I'm doing demonstrations.

The fact you cannot use the 640 for programming is not a problem for me, as I use the Sprog, which can also stand in as a small command station.

Archived