Thorney estate Gas works NG railway

Forward!

Hello all,

I don't often venture in to anything narrower than 4'8 1/2'' gauge, but thought you chaps would be interested to know I recently stumbled on a roll of ten drawings commissioned by the Duke of Bedford for a manure processing and gas-works dated 1857. Thety are held at Cambridgeshire Archives, in an uncatalogued collection reference [R77/38, 'Plans of Estate works 1857']

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

The drawings include;

plan of the site, showing all buildings, tramway tracks and points

scale drawings of a 3ft gauge wagons, hand-crank crane, tramway points, and wagon turntables. (all 1/4'' scale or larger (in one case, a wheel is drawn full size!)

drawings of gas producing machinery and manure mill machinery

elevation & plan of buildings.

drawing of small wharf on the Thorney River served by two 3ft gauge tram tracks- presumably for the delivery of coke and manure by 'lighter'.

I know nothing else about this endevour, even whether it was built. The pink shaded building in the middle of the area is the Thorney water purification works, a fine jacobean style building built by the Duke of Bedford and survives to this day as a museum and village hall/fire station! Plenty of prototype pictures around!

Just thought you chaps might be interested- it might have some modelling potential!

Will

• 2 weeks later...

The buidlings illustrated certainly were built- they're the Thorney Museum, villge hall and fire station now. However, the 186 OS map didn't show any rails. That said- been a standard gauge guy I don't know whether narrow gauge lines were drawn on 1;2500 scale mapping?

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone. Looking at the drawings and poking around the internet, I found this document

http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/pdf/env-conservation-Thorneyappraisal1-6.pdf

If you look through and find the maps, you'll find the Thorney Gas Works and Sewage Works on Map 3/1887-1889 and Map 4/1901-1903. These are downloadable as .pdf's and if you use the 'loup' tool (Menu - tools - loup tool) and click on the area, you can zoom right in and see the building shaped as on the drawings from Will and little dotted-lines which may be rails or just paths. What seems to be the main line runs just above the works. Just thought this might interest someone.

Rich

Archived