Contemporary blue electrics - identity question

Guest AlexTM

Hi folks,

Passed through Carlisle today, at around 17:15, and saw two electrics parked up. They appeared to be an 86 and an 87; both also appeared to be in BR blue. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

AC Locomotive Group's 86101 "Sir William Stanier F.R.S." and 87002 "Royal Sovereign", currently on hire to Network Rail for Ice breaking duties during cold weather between Preston and Carstairs . Running them under the wire helps to prevent ice building up and damaging pantograph carbons on other trains. The 87 has also been requested to assist a struggling DBS 66 over Beattock.

Although I have reason to believe that today, when we had atrocious icy conditions around the Carlisle area, they stayed parked within the station.

86101 worked Carlisle - Carstairs - Carlisle - Carstairs - Carlisle - Preston - Carlisle last night. An Icebreaker is only required during gaps in the timetable when there can be a long period between booked electric services, usually at night.

Hi again folks,

Thanks for the responses and information. One of my friends also saw the question and yesterday showed my a magazine (can't remember which one) with a pic of the above two locos sitting what looked like exactly the same spot at Carlisle.

As to the use of the locos, that in itself is also very interesting. I get the impression that their services would have been needed again on Thursday night. The 'south' ends of both Shap and Beattock were white. I had the joy of passing through there on a busy train where ours was the only carriage where the heating didn't work. At one point the queue outside the loo in the next carriage seemed to be more for the warmth than the need of the facilities!

Again, many thanks.

Alex.

Archived