Peco N gauge turntable

plarailfan

A family member has bought a Peco, N gauge, turntable and electric motorising kit from Frizinghall (FMR)

He is having a couple of problems as follows:-

As supplied, the large metal shaft does not protrude far enough through the gearbox, to fit the black, worm onto it, so we are wondering how to nudge the shaft forwards a bit, without distorting anything and once we've done that, we are also wondering how to get the worm onto the driveshaft, as it is such a tight fit, we can't even get it started and he is very worried about the black worm, bending, or splitting and not being able to get another one, without buying another complete kit. So far, he's been trying to slide it along by hand as he doesn't have any sort of "pushing / pressing or pulling" tools.

It's well worth contacting Peco direct-I'd suggest writing to the Technical Advice Bureau with an SAE. I've always found them helpful.

I'd suggest putting the worm in hot water before pushing it on to the shaft, but wouldn't do that with the gear box.

Ed

Thanks very much Ed, - sorry, I should have explained a bit more clearly. It is the Frizinghall gearbox and drive shaft that we are struggling with.

Frizinghall shop is only a 30 minute drive from where we live, so we could easily go back to the shop for advice, but I just thought it might be worth trying here first, as there's a good chance of finding some "hands - on" experience on this subject. I will just give it a few days to see what happens here, as there's no urgency really. Thanks again folks.

Right folks, here's an update. He went back to Frizinghall while I was at work, as he is retired.

The lads at Frizinghall took the kit away into the back of the shop and just a couple of mins later, the staff gave it back and said "job done" - and it is, in fact it is all fitted on the layout and working now, so that has been all achieved in less than a week.

Top marks to Frizinghall, excellent service !!

Archived