DCC luddite

oldknotty

I have a Howes Sound decoder in my class 37 but it is very quiet can i increase the volume with the hand controller and the CV's ?? if so can some kind soul walk me through it I have no idea what to do :-) i have a NCE Power cab basic controller that i use for my DCC .

Thanks mart , the DCC luddite :-)

Is it a new decoder? Version 4 Loksound? CV63 is the master volume, On the newer ones the range that this CV will be set is 0-193? May well be set at 165? I wouldn't wind it up to the very max. What speaker set up have you got? I would rip the fan housing out and replace the fan, reattach with a thin strip of plastikard without the rear housing that Bachmann fit. I would then fit at the minimum a bass enhanced 20 x 40 speaker in the well on the top of the loco. If you want to go further a strip down of chassis and fitting of speaker in the tanks as well. You can wire 2 x 4 ohm speakers is series. Speaker wire off chassis at SP terminal to speaker one, wire from speaker one to speaker two and then final wire back to the other SP terminal on chassis. Hope this helps? Any other thoughts from other chaps?

Thanks Gridwatcher , it is the older version and I am using the speaker that came with it . I tend to stay away from tearing up the locos I have as I seem to live by " Murphy's Law " if you know what I mean !!! I have totally messed up one already that has gone back to the UK for repair :-(

Mart, Have you got the Power Cab handbook? If so, turn to page 17 which deals with Programming and Extended Function Control. If you want to read CVs I think you will have to use a programming track - ie a piece of track isolated from the main layout that has only your class 37 on it. Having selected "Use programming track", you need then to select "2" and then enter "63" as the CV for sound volume. The screen will then show the current value. If that value is 64, then it is already at maximum (press enter); if it is less than 64, you can enter a value up to 64 and it will make a difference. After entering the value, press ENTER to accept it. If you do not have the handbook, the key on the handset to use for programming is at the extreme left of the bottom row marked "Prog/Esc/F10" and you need to press it four times to get to "Use programming track". Repeated pressing of that button returns the controller to the normal operating mode (eventually!) I hope this is helpful. Harold.

Hi Martin,

A pal of mine bought a Bachmann sound 37 about 4 months ago, Blue 37049. Nothing we did in terms of altering cv63 was of any use in improving the quite abysmal level of sound, it was very quiet indeed. He took his back to his dealer and got his money back to buy something else.

I now understand that this fault was pretty general, and that speaker improvement was the answer, i.e. better speaker or re sited speaker.I even spoke with Bryan at Howes at about it, and he couldnt offer any help either.

Bob.

For an easy solution that fits straight into the 37 and involves nothing more than a quick 2 spots of solder you can try these.

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=98_108&products_id=3541

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=98_108&products_id=898

Wasn't sure if you said chip was v3.5 or v4.0? The 100ohm one for v3.5 the 4 ohm one for v4.0

Will give an immediate improvement.

As mentioned before get rid of the horrible Bachmann fan housing and reattach fan under the grille with a strip of plastikard.

This would be a start. Have several Howes chipped 37s with none more than this done with some success. As mentioned by others you can go a lot further but it depends on how much of a 'hacker' you are!

Si

Archived