Advice wanted for weathering a Hornby platform

I have recently started the scenery on my layout, being my first layout i'm a complete novice to this. I have some of the old plastic Hornby platforms from when i was younger which i'm going to use as an island platform. I usually use metcalfe but i have these they fit what i want and i've not got loads of cash, so i decided to stick to them but weather them, make them look less plasticy.

So i was wondering if any of you have got any advice/tips on making them look alot more real than they do now.

i also i have one of the old yellow huts so include that too please.

Here are sample pictures so you know what im referring to, i obviously have more sections.

thanks james

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I'm not really sure what to suggest about the platform, but the building could benefit from having the door/window frames and bargeboards/guttering picked out in a different colour at least. Perhaps it would benefit from a dull all over white/brown first, and then separate colours for the frames etc. The background of the notice board could also be painted black. I've always quite liked this particular Hornby model and I think it's quite reminiscent of some old Southern region stations, so maybe an all over cream with green details if that fits with what you're modelling.

Archived