How to wire up the point motor switches for a double slip.?

I'm about to embark on installing a double slip with 2 point motors, that part I'm ok with. Also, the point motors are to be the peco surface type, and I shall also use a Hex Frog juicer to overcome any polarity isues.

The part I am confused about are the switches on the control panel.

I shall be using 4 push to make button switches to operate the point motors, located on the exit lines from the slip on the panel.

How do you wire the switches to avoid confusion.........????

This is a bit difficult to explain....but I'm sure those of you who have fitted slips and wired them to switches will know what I mean.

Thanks.......................Bob.

Hi. To simplify it, just think of it as two y turnouts, placed toe to toe. I only used 2 switches, one for each point motor. The excellent Brian Lambert website, explains it all in very easy to understand diagrams on his website.

Regards,

Lee.

Lee,

I fully understand how the point works.......my confusion is to how to put the switches in place that operate the point motors from the control panel.

Let me try and explain with this diagram.

If a loco coming from 1, is going to 3, then the position of the point switch will be set to a

However, if the same train from 1, is going to 4, the the switch on the entry side of the slip, will now be at position b

It will look as if the slip is set to receive a train from line 2.

This is a cause for confusion.......and I want to know if there is a way round this.

Bob

post-21-0-70177400-1330273318_thumb.jpg

The basic rule is to wire the switches to the point motor at the opposite end of the crossing. For instance, c and and d would power the motor at the a and b end.

I only discovered this when investigating the same headache you get with LED control panel indicators on a double slip.

Hope that helps,

regards,

Lee.

Its a lot simpler in practice than it is to describe but Ill have a go!

What you need to do as said above is wire the buttons on the right (c/d) to the coils of the motor on the left (1,2) and vice versa. All you need to do operationaly is press in sequence the two buttons on the route you wish to take, thus using your diagram:

1-3 press a then c

1-4 press a then d

2-3 press b then c

2-4 press b then d

HTH

Flippin Eck Guys.....................your right.!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, when that penny drops, its that Eureka moment.

Me and a couple of mates who have not done this before have spent two days off and on trying to fathom this one.

Lee / Titan.....................THANKYOU......I'll shall sleep well tonite. :happy_mini:

Many thanks for explaining it........................Bob.

Archived