why is this bridge called 'davis bridge'?

ben pez

apoligies if this is in the wrong section....

just wondering,the old a19 by pass road bridge at billingham,which has been beautifully modelled a few years ago by the middlesbrough model rail club.

this bridge is known locally in the area as the 'davis bridge',anyone know why??

no amount of googling brings up an answer!

once again apologies if this is in the wrong section.

cheers.

Bit of a longshot but back in the 70's, 'George Davis is innocent' was painted everywhere across the country, particularly on railway bridges.

That's what I was toying with until I noticed that the name "Davis Bridge" only seems to appear after the by-pass was built, which must have been before 1966 (it appears on a 1966 OS map).

I wonder if it is something quite banal and named after someone associated with the building of the bridge or a local politician wanting to claim credit

edit for ommission

thanks for your help lads,yeah the bridge was built after the war,around 1947/48,it was built to stop the traffic backing up on the level crossing a liitle bit further down on station road in billingham.

like as been already mentioned,ive got a feeling it must have been named after someone local like a councilor etc,but cant find out exactly who or why?!!!

thanks again chaps.

Archived