Mimic Board/box

• RMweb Gold

Over the years I have used -

hardboard (lovely and smooth and takes paint well, bit messy when hole drilling),

ply (not as good as hardboard and more difficult to get a really nice gloss finish),

perspex (loads of trouble getting neat cuts but that might have been me - but can give a nice finish and allows marking on the back which is far better wearing and can look really good)

a transparent plastic workbox from Hobbycraft (needs care when drilling or cutting - guess how I found out! - but can be marked or have a diagram fixed on the inside so hard wearing, and portable of course).

No experience with any more 'modern' materials in my case alas.

I went for a hardboard face, covered with the track plan printed on photo paper. As Mike says, a nice smooth surface. However now it's down I foresee the photo paper becoming tired after a while, so may need revisiting.

Maplin also sell plastic and metal project boxes in a variety of colours and sizes if you're interested in that route.

I went for a hardboard face, covered with the track plan printed on photo paper. As Mike says, a nice smooth surface. However now it's down I foresee the photo paper becoming tired after a while, so may need revisiting.

Maplin also sell plastic and metal project boxes in a variety of colours and sizes if you're interested in that route.

I went with photo paper,laminated it, used hole punch to cut holes for switches then stuck it to panel with double sided tape.

Tel

Archived