How Do You Turn Off, hide or stop information panel pop ups.

When looking at 'View New Content' page, care is needed to keep the mouse pointer in the blank space, otherwise, placing the pointer over a link to another page causes a pop-up or similar information panel to dominate the screen which is very annoying.

How can these be turned off, hidden or toggled?

Setting browser to block pop-ups has no effect. Adblock not suitable either.

I find this quite annoying too, if you're scrolling with the arrow keys then something can get under the pointer and trigger a pop-up which usually hides what I'm looking at! So I'd love a way of turning these off but if there isn't one then I guess I'll live...

• 2 weeks later...

After much searching, I have discovered that what is known as 'mouseover', 'mousehover' or 'mouseover drop down menu' is a function of javascript and cannot be altered in Windows in the same way that a pop-up blocker blocks pop-ups.

In Firefox I have gone to 'Tools' / 'Options' and unchecked the box that says 'Enable Javascript'. This disabled the mouse hover OK. Now I get a pink banner telling me, "Javascript Disabled Detected" but it has not been a problem so far. If needed, I can switch Javascript back on.

There are two ways:

1. Heavy handed and will disable a whole load of other functions on the site that depend on javascript: Disable javascript for the site.

2. Light handed but more difficult to do (and only in Firefox I believe) overwrite the css file with a local version/copy with the mousovers deleted/commented out) - this is tricky to do as the RMWeb use of css is massive and not particularly well written. Editing these out is time consuming and may effect other options that IPB are trying to make user friendly (ha ha).

Of course there is the third way:

Lump it ! accept that all these "enhancements" are just what you have always wanted in your browsing experience.

A good add-in for option 1 in Firefox is NoScript but there are others. Use Firebug for local user defined css but you do need to know and understand css

There are two ways:

1. Heavy handed and will disable a whole load of other functions on the site that depend on javascript: Disable javascript for the site.

2. Light handed but more difficult to do (and only in Firefox I believe) overwrite the css file with a local version/copy with the mousovers deleted/commented out) - this is tricky to do as the RMWeb use of css is massive and not particularly well written. Editing these out is time consuming and may effect other options that IPB are trying to make user friendly (ha ha).

Lump it ! accept that all these "enhancements" are just what you have always wanted in your browsing experience.

A good add-in for option 1 in Firefox is NoScript but there are others. Use Firebug for local user defined css but you do need to know and understand css

With Scripts disabled by NoScript, the text now looks like HTML but assume it is CSS. I shall persevere with it because I can usually work out a happy medium with most things.

There are two ways:

Kenton said, "A good add-in for ... Firefox is NoScript but there are others".

Update...

I downloaded and installed NoScript about five days ago and so far it has been a winner so thanks to Kenton for the advice.

Expanding the topic;

The Javascript toggle switch in Firefox is a bit like the front door of a house: it is either wide open so anyone can walk in or, it is shut, locked and bolted so nobody can enter.

In practical terms, blocking Javascript in the browser stops a lot of web pages from loading properly. Regarding RMWeb, it is possible to view pages with Javascript blocked but the search function is disabled and it is not possible to upload pictures in a reply. Ebay does not work properly with Javascript or AdBlock enabled.

NoScript is discretionary and permissions can be selectively blocked or enabled.

Going back to the analogy of a front door. If Javascript is enabled everything is let through but with NoScript working as well it is a bit like a commercial building with a security guy sat at a desk deciding who gets let in or told to go away based on a working list. If not on the list the answer is no entry.

So, I have my PC set to enable Javascript in Firefox and selectively block scripts with NoScript. It has many options and displays a banner showing, say, 4/5 scripts blocked and lists the ones that are forbidden or allowed. If a page does not display properly with all scripts blocked, I enable scripts one at a time until it does what I want. Scripts can be blocked completely or for current session only.

Scripts can be useful so I also have GreaseMonkey software installed and download suitable scripts but do not yet know how to write a script. Scripts can be a way of avoiding daily download limits and other restrictions imposed by Rapidshare and other hosting sites but the scripts are soon made obsolete by the hosting sites.

I also use AdBlock add-on in Firefox to block advertising banners and the like.

I do not use Internet Explorer because I do not like it. I use Bing search engine because Google does not do it my way.

• 4 months later...

There are two ways:

I have used 'NoScript' Javascript management utility for six months since this recommendation so thanks for the advice. I use it all the time to selectively block or allow Javascripts. It is very good and works better than Adblock and similar software. It is surprising how many scripts try to download without our knowledge and prior consent. People worry about cookies but scripts like Googleanylitics gather more information.

With 'NoScript' set to block everything by default, I can use this forum to read topics but, if I want to search or post a reply I 'allow for this session only'.

With 'NoScript' set to block everything by default, I can use this forum to read topics but, if I want to search or post a reply I 'allow for this session only'.

The biggest issue is 3rd party scripts - and yes that includes IPBoard which piggyback their authority on the back of the primary site. It is not that I mistrust Andy - it is that I mistrust everyone including those Andy has no knowledge of and cannot be expected to police. Code injection through javascript and cross-site scripting is the easiest way to gain access to your PC.

I know many call me paranoid - I don't mind, it is to a great extent true. But I like to be in control of what goes in and out of my PC. Having Javascript off for the site does not prevent you posting replies, or from reading posts, it does mess up the Blogs but that is a whole new topic. 90% of the use of javascript could be avoided by better programming and use of css. But for some "features" are unavoidable. I can happily live without those "features" as they add nothing to the web experience for me.

On the subject of cookies (generally pretty safe - except for their insidious tracking ability) I still cannot fathom why RMWeb needs so many. I am a member of 2 other IPB forums and the cookie count is nowhere near as high it even surpasses ebay (with the doubleclick tracker) and Google (with the Google Analytics tracker). I have a non-commercial/not-free/unavailable piece of software that also selectively blocks cookies and limits them per machine - works a treat on sites that require a login cookie or a single preference cookie (Google and eBay) used to work well on the old RMWeb (restricting to 4 cookies) but doesn't work on the IPB RMWeb where there are at times 14 cookies!

Archived