RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Tarmac on the platform.  Have I heard somewhere about using wet and dry paper?  The fine stuff tht is.  The end of my platform away from the station building will be gravel so I thought of something like that or sandpaper.

I'm sure I read it somewhere, but not sure if on the web or in a mag.

Yes, Chris. I've come across that one somewhere - it's probably appeared in numerous magazines over the years. I've never tried it though - sounds a lot better than painting PVA onto the platform and sprinkling very fine sand on - then painting it (like I did with the "ash" ballasted sidings).

Btw, apologies for lack of promised pics. I was a bit overambitious with the structure. I assumed the PVA was set when, in fact, it wasn't. So it's back in the kitchen for the night!

Jeff

Funny, that. If you had to use your phone to install DCC sound in a loco you'd learn how to do it in a flash!

Jeff

We have to make allowances. He's having a blue era moment. It will soon pass.

Also he has become my commission agent for my s/h engines, guaranteed profits for all. I have bought a new Audi in anticipation...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Chris. I've come across that one somewhere - it's probably appeared in numerous magazines over the years. I've never tried it though - sounds a lot better than painting PVA onto the platform and sprinkling very fine sand on - then painting it (like I did with the "ash" ballasted sidings).

Btw, apologies for lack of promised pics. I was a bit overambitious with the structure. I assumed the PVA was set when, in fact, it wasn't. So it's back in the kitchen for the night!

Jeff

Even easier is to use black sand from tenerife or some other volcanic beach.   Then you don't need to paint it.   It makes brilliant tarmac.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Even easier is to use black sand from tenerife or some other volcanic beach.   Then you don't need to paint it.   It makes brilliant tarmac.

Jamie

If you've got some..... Some kind of "tarmac" will eventually be forthcoming - by some means!

Jeff

Jeff, Have a look at some Woodlands Scenics Fine Cinders, I have just used some older stuff that I have had for a few years which I have used in the Coal Yard on FY, you will see it in the latest pics of FY.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used WS Fine cinders in my initial cess ballasting of the cutting (post #7431). However, I thought it was too dark and it was eventually replaced with Carrs 2mm Light Grey (see post #7635). This is the Carrs, in the cess:

post-13778-0-91277500-1383222790_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of KS station:

post-13778-0-22194800-1383222505_thumb.jpg

The colours are comparable, so I'll probably go for the lighter ballast to represent my "tarmac".

As a matter of interest, here is a pic of Ian Macdonald's excellent KS West layout, showing how he coloured his platforms:

post-13778-0-99027400-1383223380_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff I have just noticed that you are on the way to 200,000 viewings on here, and OVER 25,000. in the Lounge.

And jointly over 12,000 posts as well. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

CONGRATULATIONS mate.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I have just noticed that you are on the way to 200,000 viewings on here, and OVER 25,000. in the Lounge.

And jointly over 12,000 posts as well. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

CONGRATULATIONS mate.

Makes me wonder how I ever find the time to do any modelling!! KL would be finished if I'd spent the time on here building the layout...

Well, maybe not as I wouldn't have you guys to inspire me!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The high-tech equipment we use in this hobby.... There's a platform under there - somewhere...

post-13778-0-55666400-1383235726_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of a 3F adjacent to the structure (not fixed down, position being judged):

post-13778-0-06891500-1383235731_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74136200-1383235735_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The platform isn't totally straight - it has a slight (unplanned) bend in it - not that you'd really notice unless you picked it up. And putting the structure between the main line and the branch line tells me that my tracklaying wasn't quite parallel. Still, it looks ok.

Anyway, some more pics:

post-13778-0-62865600-1383236029_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-27686000-1383236034_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-73806100-1383236038_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-97347900-1383236042_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice pic of the 37 snaking in behind the platform. IMHO I would steer clear of using any ballast or sand products for a tarmac surface. Always looks far too coarse to my eye. Something like 600 grade wet and dry might be better. Used it many years ago and it can be painted without much trouble to get the colour you want.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice pic of the 37 snaking in behind the platform. IMHO I would steer clear of using any ballast or sand products for a tarmac surface. Always looks far too coarse to my eye. Something like 600 grade wet and dry might be better. Used it many years ago and it can be painted without much trouble to get the colour you want.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll happily accept your suggestion as I've never surfaced a platform with a tarmic-like surface before. My previous offerings have been stone paved.

An easy to apply solution that can rapidly be changed if a cock-up occurs!

Jeff

The pics look great Jeff, another idea for the platform surface is to paint it and then add Talcom Powder, it may not be perfect,

BUT AT LEAST IT WILL SMELL NICE :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

In all seriousness that's what I used on Trebudoc, Deesdale and Masons Lane.

Bodge :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pics look great Jeff, another idea for the platform surface is to paint it and then add Talcom Powder, it may not be perfect,

BUT AT LEAST IT WILL SMELL NICE :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

In all seriousness that's what I used on Trebudoc, Deesdale and Masons Lane.

Bodge :O

Yes, I'd heard they always say that everything you do comes up smelling of roses talcum powder!!  :O  :O

Jeff

Nice stuff Jeff. Can you not buy matt black acrylic enamel for the platform... or might that be too dark? Cheap nasty coarse MATT acrylic like used as pavement paint?

600 grade wet and dry might work, might look a bit too even, I'd try both as tests. Also black photo album pages are PERFECT if you can find them, I use them in foregrounds in photos will add a pic shortly..

I'm taking a break from pictures right now, there is a verdant Spring out there!

Rob

edit; photo album page in average light, with some OBSCURE UNIMPORTANT GOODS engine...

post-7929-0-55836500-1383249290.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Humm, how about using fine coal dust? I've a coal bucket with about 2lbs of fines at the bottom of it. If it's any use I'll send some up.

One of the problems with using wet and dry is hiding the joins, I've never found a satisfactory way of doing that.

Lovely shots of the platform, really looking the part.

Now I can point out another operating error in one of the photos, but fear I'll be seen as moaning again so won't.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Humm, how about using fine coal dust? I've a coal bucket with about 2lbs of fines at the bottom of it. If it's any use I'll send some up.

One of the problems with using wet and dry is hiding the joins, I've never found a satisfactory way of doing that.

Lovely shots of the platform, really looking the part.

Now I can point out another operating error in one of the photos, but fear I'll be seen as moaning again so won't.

Andy G

Go ahead, Andy. I'm curious - and eager to learn, if it's something I can do something about. Remember - I have NEVER looked at prototypical train practice. It's something I'll get round to when I fancy something beyond all the jobs I've got at the minute......

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll be trying a few of the ideas - paint, talc, wet and dry etc before the platforms get touched.

Now what's this "criticism" of the 8F in your picture. Be careful or I'll set your old mate Mr Stanier onto you!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The operational error is that the Peak has got it's tail lamps illuminated even when coupled to a train. There should only be one tail lamp on a train, and that should be on the last vehicle.

I'm guessing with DCC you can turn it off, and if you fit a chip into you brakevans you could control the lamps in that? (And that probably includes side lamps?)

Andy G

Edited by uax6

The operational error is that the Peak has got it's tail lamps illuminated even when coupled to a train. There should only be one tail lamp on a train, and that should be on the last vehicle.

I'm guessing with DCC you can turn it off, and if you fit a chip into you brakevans you could control the lamps in that? (And that probably includes side lamps?)

Andy G

Hi Andy, unfortunately all the manufactures have this problem, all have Red tail lights but only the newer Bachmann have the facility to turn them off, and it's really is frustrating.

There are DCC professionals out there that can probably re blow the chip to facilitate this but at another cost which is a great shame and as you quite rightly say is WRONG.

I have 2 x Heljan, a Class 26 and 27, and I accidentally broke the light fittings getting the bodies off and back on, this has meant that I have No lights at all on them, this may look wrong on the front of the Blue one but is not so noticeable on the Green one with Discs, the up side though is that NEITHER have tail lamps.

The OTHER Andy, :sungum: Bodgit :O

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Jeff

For the platform surface if you do consider the sandpaper route then go for the aluminium oxide rolls as they come in several lengths, I have a 4.5m roll of 120 grit which I have never used but it can be as fine as 400 for around 5 or 6 pounds.

Just one way of avoiding joins.

I look forward to whatever you choose anyway, at least it's not individual stones like mine.

Jim