Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Jeff, I have to agree to a degree, but not entirely, there are times when comments made make you think twice about certain aspects of the build. These comments can deviate from the original plan and take you down a dark road that your not sure about or totally comfortable with, in many cases it can be the wrong road and then its to late to re trace your steps before a big fall.

Jason (and many on here like him) has stuck to his plan You and I tried to instigate the Bacup Extension but he would have none of it, despite both you and I being convinced of its merits. He will be happier with what he has than with a longer run on a nice embankment over the Canal.

The forum is good for advice but not always for change of direction. I'm probably the worlds worst on here, I get an idea and then I see someone else's layout and think to my self, that's a lot better than mine, lets try that.

And that's why I still build lots of small different layouts.

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Some good comments there, Andy.

I'd already set the overall plan for KL in stone - double track S&C main line, station and goods area, viaduct(s). However, the detail was up for grabs and I ended up being guided re. branch lines, track type, embankments etc etc. Without the input on here I'd have produced something of a much lower quality, like my previous offerings.

You are right about the dangers of too much input. Mike and Larry guided me to a more prototypical initial trackplan - via small changes. I'd never have compromised on the big picture - can you imagine my words (you probably can!!) if I'd been advised to scrap the Fell?!

Jeff

• Like 2

I always use to use peco code 100 until I saw how nice the snp & c&l track looked on bacup greenfield and yours. then I started to use it now I wont go back to code 100 never.

Then I saw how much fun it could be with a goods yard to do shunt movements. It don't have to be big just fun thats why now my layout is small

mark

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 3

Small with a few well placed sidings is all you need, but at least one siding the WRONG WAY so that you need to run around the train.

As you say Mark, J & J's track does look superb, (well actually just ONE J at the moment) and although I had some SMP I went back to Peco Code 75 but I'm not to sure what I will do next time.

As it will probably be my LAST BUILD I want it to look right, and also as it will be ALMOST permanent there will be no rush to finish it for Exhibitions.

I still have time to think it through, but a lot will depend on how much money I spend on the buildings and base boards.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I know we've been through this before - and I know you have large stocks of Peco 75 - but do TLGP in SMP or C&L. If you do SMP you can look my way if you need "advice". I stocked up with Peco 75 (nothing wrong with it), but the SMP was a pleasure to work with and no sleeper spacing antics.

A request: We've had the discussion of Peco 100/Peco 75/SMP etc a while back. I'm just giving my opinion as relevant to KL. If you wish to discuss track in detail - again - can we use the Lounge?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Track and TLGP/KL on here. Gardening in the Lounge. Whatever next?

Just off for coffee after another frustrating day on behalf of my brother. Back later for more discussion - tiddlywinks? More likely F1!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Sorry Jeff, it wasn't meant as a discussion,I was just re iterating how good yours and Jason's looked (track that is) and I will think about it and come back to KL1 and Bacup pics nearer the time for inspiration and decision, and then discuss on my new project.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, it wasn't meant as a discussion,I was just re iterating how good yours and Jason's looked (track that is) and I will think about it and come back to KL1 and Bacup pics nearer the time for inspiration and decision, and then discuss on my new project.

MY apologies, Andy. I wasn't referring to YOU, I was making a general comment that if anyone ended up picking up on your track discussion, could they please do it in the Lounge.

I didn't write it very clearly!

I'm always happy to discuss TLGP - in all aspects - on here. Sorry my reply was so unclear!

Jeff

No worries mate, I guessed as much anyway but I will hopefully be starting my own new thread one day soon and all I need to know will be discussed on there.

I may swap to tortoise or Cobolt motors though as the TT300's are not as slow as I would like.

• RMweb Premium

No worries mate, I guessed as much anyway but I will hopefully be starting my own new thread one day soon and all I need to know will be discussed on there.

I may swap to tortoise or Cobolt motors though as the TT300's are not as slow as I would like.

I like my Cobalts, though they are not without their problems: a small number click, even at low (< 9V) voltage, and a couple have been known to stick at one end of travel. Jason prefers Torti. As I have nearly 50 of the little bug*ers I'll stick with Cobalts!

Jeff

I like my Cobalts, though they are not without their problems: a small number click, even at low (< 9V) voltage, and a couple have been known to stick at one end of travel. Jason prefers Torti. As I have nearly 50 of the little bug*ers I'll stick with Cobalts!

Jeff

That's interesting as I was round a mates last week and he said that out of 9 Cobolts on his O Gauge Layout he had 2 that kept sticking and Clicking.

So far the TT300 have performed fine, I may be taking the ones out of Kingsley to use on TLGP that will then give me 14 available out of about the 22 that I will need.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, if you have a look about half way through Scott's "Stockrington" layout thread you'll see a post from Jason, commenting on a Cobalt "clicker". At which point, Richard Johnson, the owner of DCC Concepts that make them starts to trumpet the anthemic "Cobalts never click unless you abuse them - by over-running voltage etc".

This is just not true. Jason stuck up for his comments and added in about stickers. Then I put a comment which, briefly went like this: "I LIKE Cobalts and will remain loyal to the brand. But there ARE problems with a SMALL number - I've returned 2 out of 50 to Gaugemaster because they stuck at one end of travel. Another 3 have clicked - and I run them at under 9V (they recommend up to 14V) - routinely monitored by a multimeter".

Don't be put off, I had 45 working Cobalts on KL and will use them again on KL2 - I may even have to buy a few more for the extra turnouts. But it's annoying when they try to portray the product as perfect.

I've never used a Tortoise - I know Jason likes them, and I know they are highly rated.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, on KL2 will you have independent control panels for the Visible section to the Fiddle Yard?

I hadn't thought about that, Andy.

It might not be a bad idea and I'll give it some thought.

I'm sticking to simple DC switching of the Cobalts - not using decoders. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff, I will use Peco motors in the F/Y to save some money and I know you cant as your totally Marcway.

The difference between solenoids and slow-mos is quite substantial. Yes, I don't fancy banging the Marcway point blades with the old Peco motors!

Jeff

Yea I'm still undecided, I like the simplicity of the TT300 wiring using DCC but I also like the real feel of levers on a layout although I haven't used them for many years / layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Yea I'm still undecided, I like the simplicity of the TT300 wiring using DCC but I also like the real feel of levers on a layout although I haven't used them for many years / layouts.

I'm a fan of DCC but there's around 50+ turnouts on KL2. I just can't justify buying decoders for them.

Besides, like you, I like the old fashioned mimic board. I'll add some LEDs to the new one for KL2. And it's fun to build it as well!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Had you considered Peco Code 75 for the Fiddle Yard? as you say you may need more points anyway.

Funny you say that. KL was going to be ALL Peco 75 when I started the project. Then, as I'd already bought a load of Peco, I thought: SMP for the scenic, Peco for the Fiddle Yard.

But I loved the SMP so much - and the Marcway turnouts - that I went the "whole hog" with SMP etc. And Cobalts for the lot. A bit stupid, moneywise, but it all worked REALLY well, so I'll stick with what I know on KL2.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I guess with almost 50 Cobolts you would NEVER need that number on the scenic section anyway.

Can Cobolts be mounted above baseboard?

I'm sure they can, but they are quite large to do that - maybe 3" deep.

I'll need around 20 Cobalts in the scenic and around (depending on the number of roads I can fit in) 30+ in the FY.

Btw, best railway discussion we've had on here in weeks!!! 

And this is my 8000th post, with you not far behind....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its been cracking AND INFORMATIVE I off now, catchup again tomorrow.

Congrats on 8000 post BTW. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Cheers!

At the rate you post, I'll be returning the compliment in 2 days!!!

Time for bed - as Zebedee once said - methinks!

Jeff