Bristol-Southampton trains chronology

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I'm not quite clear in my own mind about the types of trains on this corridor during the period above. I know 155s were introduced to this route, and lasted at least until 1990. I've seen pictures of 156s as well, but I have no idea how long they lasted on the run. 158s have been the staple for a long period now, but I'm not sure exactly when they took hold on the route- I know their introduction wasn't exactly a smooth affair. Looking at pictures, 150/2s have made showings, as have 153s. I'm unclear as to whether this was diagrammed work or filling in for unavailable units of other types. My stepfather mentioned having a DEMU of some description on the run as well circa 1990, but his description leaves me unsure whether that's what he actually had- he described it as looking "exactly like an SR EMU, but it ran all the way from Bristol". As he isn't a railway enthusiast, I'm not sure how much to read into this. I suppose it could even have been a 4-TC.

If 150/2s run/ran this route, I suppose it's feasible that 1st gen units may have put in a showing even into the early 1990s. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, my question is, what was diagrammed to trains over this route, and over what years? Specifically within the timeframe of the sector era.

Thanks

33s formed the backbone of these services until the start of the Summer 88 timetable.

Then the 155s took over - briefly.

In December 88 the 155s were withdrawn for rectification work and were replaced by 156s intended for Scotland.

The 156s remained until the 155s returned from works, which was late 89 onwards.

158s then replaced the 155s, my first ride on a 158 on a Pompey was April 91. At first we had 158 7xxs, but these were then replaced by 158 8xxs.

My last recorded journey on a 155 on a Pompey was Feb 92.

The 'Southern EMU' could have been one of 2 things.

33/1s and TCs used to turn up when there had been a failure or a long delay on the Pompey line. (As well as regular Summer Saturday Weymouth turns)

Thumper units, both 205s and 207s were used on a morning Southampton stopper service for a while.

It used to get into Bristol just after 10am (usually platform 1) and went back to Southampton at 10:30 ish. Other Soton stoppers were DMUs.

ps 150s are not booked to go to Pompey, but still turn up when a more suitable unit isn't available.

153s have never worked Pompeys alone, but did work the Warminster stoppers and were sometimes tagged on the back of a 158 or 150 on a Pompey, less so now that the 158s have been strengthened to 3 car sets.

Hi all,

I ................. Looking at pictures, 150/2s have made showings, as have 153s. I'm unclear as to whether this was diagrammed work or filling in for unavailable units of other types. ................

Thanks

I believe at certain times 153s have been diagrammed for services terminating at Southampton, originating at Gloucester/Cheltenham or Swindon (via Melksham)

cheers

Yes, there was a brief period when FGW (or the previous franchise) were responsible for stoppers between Salisbury and Soton, before they reverted to being 'Southern' responsibility. When they were FGW they operated as through services from further North. Now SWT run Salisbury-Salisbury via the Chandlers Ford/Eastleigh/Soton loop using 158s.

I think there is at least 1 153 to Southampton now on 2O00 1740 Cheltenham Spa- Southampton Central (2048), 1x153 detaches at Westbury and 1 goes forward.

It then works 2V96 2120 Southampton Central- Salisbury (2226).

Its been a while since I saw this service but a 153 used to work it.

Archived