sr terriers

houseman

Certainly some were; I've modelled the Lancing C&W Works Shunter, which was certainly in all-black, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't alone.

The usual rule with Terriers is that if you can imagine it happening at any time, it probably did. The LBSC even used them on a short stretch of their Continental Boat Trains, which required a regular 60 mph plus day in and day out - not bad for a tiny little tank engine!

On p66 of Handel Kardas' "Portrait of the Terriers" (Ian Allen 1999) there is a picture of Fulham newly outshopped in "British Railways" plain black. p63 has a picture of Knowle in "Southern" wartime black in 1949.

All the other pictures in the BR section show them in lined black with either early or late logo. The text states the Fulham plain black was done "hastily".

Given they were mixed traffic engines, and that they were getting a little thin on the ground on the main land, I'd say they probably didn't get painted in plain black.

Hi

32644 and 32646 were both outshoped in plain black with the words british railways on the tanksides in sunshine style lettering.

Regards kev icon_thumbsup2.gif

hi many thanks for this was the numbering on the coal bunker or under the lettering on the tank sides

regards

houseman

Archived