which Hornby diesel ringfield motors can be used in several classes

Richard_A

• RMweb Gold

I am looking to buy some 5pole rinfield motors for the Hornby hst, and have found some for the hymek and class 110 but none specific for the hst.

I know that Hornby generally used generic motors for locos and adjusted things to suit, so would these be fine to use for the hst?

Hornby did do a 5 pole Ringfield HST unit between about 2002 and 2006. The details are on Service Sheet 266. The 5 pole Class 110 (Service Sheet 281) has all the same components as the HST unit, except the wheels. I suspect that a Class 110 unit would fit into an HST. As the motors unclip out of the bogie frame, you could almost certainly remove one from a Class 110 bogie and fit it directly into the HST frame.

The Hymek (Sheet 272) appears to have some different parts, so it less likely to fit an HST, but I dont know for sure. I suggest that you compare the Service Sheets listed - http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/?page=4

The 5-pole drive units for the HST and the Cl.110 are identical.

The Hymek version is similar in that it shares the same motor block casting,but has 40mm wheelbase,if you can't get hold of the HST drive unit,it could be converted to the 34mm wheelbase of the HST by moving the wheelset and brass bearing tube from the outer hole and fitting them in the inner hole in the end of the block which has the 2 adjacent axle holes cast into it,the pickups at this end would then have to be modified so that they then line up with the backs of the wheels.

Archived