Sound Decoder Witn No Lights Function?

Poe

OK. Just had a look at the ESU website (http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-micro-v40/) and the LokSound Micro has four function outputs, in addition to the sound functions. Two of those would be the head/tail lights (yellow and white wires), so two more are available for other functions such as firebox light flicker, smoke units, and so on but with the proviso that the current available may limit what you can run directly off the decoder. There are ways around this, such as running the smoke unit directly off track current but controlling it (on/off) via the decoder and a relay or an electronic equivalent.

The following is a direct quote from the website linked above:

' Functions

LokSound micro V4.0 decoders have 4 function outputs with the possibility of using constant current of 150mA. These outputs can be assigned individually. Apart from that, there are two more non-amplified outputs with logic level. All important light functions like Flash, Gyrolight, Mars light, fire box and so on are provided including the individual adjustment of brightness for each function.

Of course, the decoders provide automatic coupling and decoupling for couplers by Roco®, Krois® and Telex® and from now on even a full beaming head light function.

The LED mode controls the right light effects when using LEDs.'

Thanks very much, thats pretty amazing for such a small chip. if current draw is going to be an issue ill skip the smoke and just connect up front/rear lighting and a firebox lamp. as i should imagne the smoke generator would drain the most.

EDIT: Do the led's need a resistor or does the decoder output 2.5v?

Hi

It will do all that you request and more. The lok 4.0 has 6 functions the one in this video I did in 2009 is a lok 3.5 which has 4 functions. You will need a 1k resistor on the firebox flicker and anywhere from 20-70k on the front and rear lights depending on what lighting effect you want.

Smoke I added a relay to this loco so I can pull full track current and controlled it via a function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPnOPeRWC4

Cheers

Martin

Nice martin! very nice.

Is this similar to the loksound micro then mate? ive read a lot of theory on decoders but not done any in practice, im good at soldering work and have soldered things as small as 1.5mm on pcb's but as i say in practice this will be the first dcc chip for me.

Hi

I used the older loksound 3.5 micro in this loco. What you will be installing will be slightly smaller and you can expect generally better performance from the 4.0. You will need to hard wire this decoder. To be honest if its your first time I would work on getting the decoder in and then in a couple of months have a look at smoke.

Best of luck.

Martin

Archived