LOCO SHED PLATES

silverlink

Does anyone know how BR dealt with shed plates on locos. How did they deal with a loco that was been transfered from its home shed to another? was the shed plate removed first or was it scrapped when taken off at its new shed? (oh no!!!). Would they have a stock of shed plates ready to put on any newly arrived locos?.

cheers

silverlink (50E)

• RMweb Gold

On the Western Region sheds normally held a small stock of their own plates, obtaining more from Swindon by stores requisition (they were cast in what subsequently became the dmu engine etc repair shop), I have a pic somewhere of some being cast :O. The proper procedure, as explained to me admittedly in diesel days, was that the shed from which the loco was being transferred should take off its plate before the loco left and the new shed put on its plate when it got the loco.

I presume that if a loco was transferred while in works its old plate went into the stores and was subsequently sent back to home depot in the stores van but that that is an assumption.

Remember once seeing in the stores at Springs Branch about 10 different shed plates threaded on a strong piece of string from locos transferred to the shed. Dont know where they went to from the stores, not home with me unfortunately.

Archived