Help needed with KPEV buildings liveries

Tony Dean

Hi Folks

Although I mainly model British light railways in O Gauge I have built a collection of the Fleischmann special issue KPEV (Royal Prussian) German pre-grouping sets over the past 20 years and have decided to build a small or even micro-layout set somewhere in the Potsdam/outer Berlin area using the models from these boxes. Since the early 1990s Fleischmann have got the loco and carriage liveries just about right now that they have begun to issue locos with brown wheels instead of just using Reichsbahn red wheels (for pre-1914, wrong!) with KPEV bodies just plonked on top, which they did previously! Also they have moved away from what could best be described as 'duck-poo' green to proper KPEV olive for locos.

However, having made a start I have come across all sorts of deficiencies in my knowledge despite having quite a big KPEV library from my time when I lived in Germany. I joined the Alte Zeit Gruppe which are helpful. However, basic details like the painting livery for buildings (basic stuff we know well for British pre-grouping!) are simply missing - does anyone know these please?

The problem seems to arise because the Germans enjoy their railway modelling in a different way to us - they love all the technical stuff, but the British "theatrical-artistic" style of modelling encouraged by our finescale movement's encouragement of realistic and naturalistic scenery and buildings has never really taken hold over there - they seem to like their layouts pristine and with an "out the box" cleanliness in fresh unpainted plastic. So, basic details like buildings paint schemes are just not covered in their publications.

Can anyone help me please with what colours I should paint window frames, doors, guttering, platform ironwork etc. etc.?

Meanwhile, if anyone wants me to look up anything technical in my massive KPEV library I would be happy to oblige in return!

Thanks

Tony

• Reply quoting this post
  • MultiQuote
  • Edit

Hi,

To be very exact, KPEV wasn't exactley pre-grouping, it was more like grouping - Every German country had its own railway. OK, end of history lesson ;)

I'm not that much interested in the Prussian Railways, but as far as i know many buildings were just plain brick, and many wooden parts would be dark green, similar to this buildin from Auhagen: http://www.auhagen-shop.de/product_info.php/info/p30160_Bahnhof-Krakow.html

These brick buildings were standard types which appeared in many locations on the Prussian railway system.

Moritz.

• 1 month later...
Hi Folks

Although I mainly model British light railways in O Gauge I have built a collection of the Fleischmann special issue KPEV (Royal Prussian) German pre-grouping sets over the past 20 years and have decided to build a small or even micro-layout set somewhere in the Potsdam/outer Berlin area using the models from these boxes.

Tony

Hi Tony,

many of ex-KPEV buildings in Brandenburg around Berlin are still standing, not in best condition though. Just have a look here to get an impression: http://www.drehschei...d.php?4,4282410

Regards

Felix

Archived