LNWR wagons after 1948

Guest AlexTM

Guest AlexTM

Hi folks,

Sorry for yet another question!

Can anyone tell me if any LNWR wooden bodied wagons survived into the late 1950s?

I am particularly interested in those wagons as modelled by Ration, i.e. 10ton 4, and 5plank opens (latter being sometimes used for loco coal), dropsides and bolster pair/single plank wagon.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

Alex,

Not exactly an answer to your question but a while back I did an analysis of the mean life of various companies' wagons at grouping. I seem to recollect that the LNWR wagon stock had the shortest life with a figure of about 12 years. The inplication is that very few waons would have survived to nationisation.

Bill

Guest AlexTM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. Interesting piece of research; I can only assume that it was a labour of love as it sounds like a lot of hard work. I had a 'gut feeling' that they would not have lasted but since other pre-grouping stock survived I thought it worth asking.

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Actually not much research, the information is in LNWR wagons vol 1. As a student of the London & South Western Railway, I find it interresting that their stock lasted much longer than other railways. Off the top of my head, a LSWR wagon at grouping had an average age of 18 years.

Bill

Guest AlexTM

Hi again,

Thanks for that update. What little I know about pre-group wagons and their survival stems from seeing examples in photos where there is enough evidence around them to give approximate dates. The again, there is no way of knowing if what appears in a photo is commonplace or unique.

Do you know if the slightly larger, 5-plank, version survived this late? (If it did then I can justify the kit as I'll be able to run both vehicles.)

Again, thanks for this info.

Regards,

Alex.

Actually not much research, the information is in LNWR wagons vol 1. As a student of the London & South Western Railway, I find it interresting that their stock lasted much longer than other railways. Off the top of my head, a LSWR wagon at grouping had an average age of 18 years.

Whilst the mean averages might be useful in giving an idea of when a class is past it's prime it doesn't necessarily help much with late survivors. You can get an average of "say" 15 years with the first ones of a class going at 7 or 8 years (most likely accident damage) and the odd late survivor lasting 40 years. (Think of the Beattie well tanks or Adams Radials as extreme examples whcih most are familiar with).

Archived