100 year old photos of Tsarist Russia

ben racey

Hi all,

Noticed this via a link on the BBC site today, which has some highlights, but the web page below seems to have a much larger selection of images:

http://www.gridenko.com/pg

there's plenty of explanation of how these amazing photos were obtained in 1905 onwards here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

but I'd gave expected tsarist russia to the last place to be brought to life in such a vivid way!

The railway connection is made by a number of illustrations of steam power, and personalities that worked on the railway at the time.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Regard

Richard,

• 3 months later...

Not sure if it's the same collection, but I've seen these before - but never fail to be impressed at the quality and colour.

I've spent (wasted?) a short while trying to trace the provenance of the steam locomotive at image no. 41 ("Steam Engine Kompaund with a Shmidt Super-heater").. AV 132 (or AW 132 if you're looking in German sources) is a development of a 4-6-0 type compound originally introduced for the Vladikavkaz Railway (class P) in 1892. The suffix "V" identifies an A class locomotive fitted with Walschaert's valve gear.

Similar locomotives were supplied to a number of Russian railways. Most were built in Russia: first by Kolomna, followed by various other Russian builders; but there was a batch from Hanomag. The same builder's photo of one of the latter appears in "Hanomag Lokomotiven" (Speilhoff) and "Russian Locomotives Volume 1" (de Pater and Page), where it is credited to the Stephenson Locomotive Society (suggesting it might have originated with Hugh le Fleming?).

All were consolidated into a new A class and renumbered in 1912, making it difficult to trace the originating railway/running number. If the number 132 was retained through the renumbering, it could identify the locomotive as one of a batch buiilt for the Kursk-Kharkov-Seveastopol Railway (their class Ag) in 1902 by Lugansk, but that would be a large dose of speculation.

Whatever it was, it's still an excellent photo for the period!

Archived