Badger Creek

Alx

Hi all, first post here at RMweb thought i'd start off by sharing the progress of my new micro layout. It is set in Victoria, Australia. And represents a small branchline station with a single siding for goods, although not 100% prototypical i'm sure i can have fun with it.

348iltz.png

The platform is only temporary, I hope to make a new one that fits all the way to the back of the baseboard.I've also replaced the house at the back with what is to be a general store (actually a village hall building)

At this stage the track is pinned down and is fully operational, there is also a small detachable fiddle yard that connects to the platform road.

More photo's as it progresses. Kind regards, Alex.

Hi again!

Today i received a new engine in the mail (very happy with it) a Bendigo Rail Model's first series T class numbered T332. I've recently added some woodland scenics fine buff ballast as a gravel road for the General store area. Although i wasn't happy with the way it came out, so i painted it "Ground Coffee" brown and added various powders i had to it. I'm having some difficulty creating a color that I like.

anki1x.jpg

so0kmc.jpg

The grass looks a little brighter in the bottom photo. If anyone has any techniques on making gravel roads i'd love to read them.

Kind regards, Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Alex,

Nice little project ! I have thought about building something similar to shunt my NSWGR 48 & 49 Class around on. Having completed a 'time saver' for my son, and realising how much fun can be had on it, now is the time I built something for myself ! Although at the moment I'm finishing off my sons other layout Noname Yet (see gallery page).

As for your question on roads;

I collected various shades of fine silt (clays) that would suit my landscape. I even collected the dry roadbase dust from a near by road repair. After collection I would recommend drying soils in a slow oven, then using a fine sieve, remove any large matter (stones or organic, although small stones can be used in landscape detail) that would look unsightly or out of place. Remember to keep your colours seperated for different purposes/uses.

After painting base boards with required base colour, allow to dry overnight. Now apply a liberal coat of PVA and spread evenly. Try to avoid heavy streaks in the glue. Now using the darker colour/s silt or a mix of silt and roadbase dust, sift over wet glue, using the fine sieve again. Make sure you cover all areas evenly. You will notice that the silts will darken quite dramatically on the glue, but do not worry for it will lighten back up when dry. After completing first layer, use a lighter colour for the edges of roadways and the centre section of the road/lane where no wheels tread, (this will give the effect of wheel tracks). For the centre section between wheel tracks, I used the same sieve, but used a piece of scrap cardboard to direct the sifted silt to the centre of roadway. While the soil is still damp, I would recommend adding any weed growth around edge of roadway, as a reapplication of PVA/water mix for fixing down scenery will stain/darken the silt you have layed for the roadway, spoiling the effect, although sifting on a little more silt will cover this up. Allow atleast 24-48 hours to dry completely (depending on temperature), before sweeping/vacuuming up the excess. The excess you clean up can be used around/under the ballast, or under any grass to be laid/scattered.

I hope this helps you out and happy modelling !!

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I think it's time for an update. First of all a thank you to the folks that gave me tips.

Now for some photo's.

eoaap.jpg

33fgvvl.jpg

os9ac2.jpg

245im1x.jpg

And an overall view;

207ow9w.jpg

Still a lot of work that needs to be done and progress has been slow, but this is the current state of the layout. I've recently bought/assembled a wills yard crane kit that is to be put next to the goods platform. I really must change the sign on the passengers platform too.

Kind regards, Alex.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, and a late happy new year. Thought I'd add a quick photo and brief update of what's happening to Badger Ck. I've replaced the goods platform for a Bullamakanka 20 Ft goods shed and constructed the facing out of styrene. An Auscision Gum tree is seen in the background below, whilst not yet fixed to the ground. Other than that, some pallets and oil drums have (and some still to be added) been added beside the shed. Still A lot of work needs done, which i plan on getting around to...eventually.

Kind regards, Alex.

miohv.jpg

Nice pic Alex, I really like your Derm ! Very nice model. I can see some BLF/BLX or UB/UF bogie box cars sitting in the siding being unloaded, maybe even the odd LF or MB stranded at the end of the siding...

Cheers, Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Alex,

Another good photo. Did you manage to sort out the gravel road, ie, colour and texture ? Although looking at your pics, the road does look good. One thing I would suggest is to give the planks on the goods shed a wash in dirty grey/black to tone them done a tad.

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks Gary. The gravel road, after lot's of powders and such is finally to my liking. As for the goods shed planks/shed itself, still a lot of work is needed, like fixing it to the layout! I'll try to document progress as things get added/changed. I'm pondering the idea of putting a super phosphate shed opposite the head shunt, similar to one at Mansfield.

Regards, Alex.

All ground cover is woodland scenics, i used a light buff color for the road originally, but ended up painting it brown. I then weathered it with various powders that i don't recall the brand name of. I think any powders that looked the right color would do.

Kind regards, 

Alex.

Archived