Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Beware the new Chinese plastics!

Queen Anne is dead! Butanone or the many commercial ABS capable cements that then emerged put this one to bed back in the last millennium when Chinese made model railway goods first appeared in the UK market. Surely that happened in the US too?

What he is talking about are structrue models (buildings). A lot of the structure kits for North American modellers have been produced by European manufacturers with a plastic that one can use tube glue on (and tube glue is a lot safer for children to use). It would appear that, with the shift to China of the manufacturing of these kits, a different plastic formulation is now being used that requires the use of more agressive solvents, and that possibly less care is being applied to the finishing/packaging of the kits (not washing off the mould release).

Adrian

It will be interesting to see if Walthers or any other manufacturer getting their kits produced using the new and obviously cheaper materials will actually lower their prices and even admit that the construction of the kit now requires cleaning and the use of a more toxic solvent based adhesive. We are definitely creating models for big toys here! The long term health effects of using CA for example is well known and I feel it is a real shame that the dollar return prevails over the pleasure of assembling the kits or the modeller's health.

I have just bought my son a Gundam robot kit for his birthday. Over 600 meticulously moulded parts and it all just clips together! No Butanone, CA or anything else to inhale.

Archived