VIA Rail F40PH rebuild

dibber25

I've finally bitten the bullet and started to rebuild a Walthers F40PH into one of the VIA Rail 6400s that has been rebuilt with the rear bodywork extended over the platform. The catalyst was a Model Junction offer at £39.99 of a CSX example. I know that the Walthers model is a bit 'basic' and requires quite a bit of alteration to change it from a US version into a Canadian one. I already have VIA 6404 in a dismantled state, having fitted a cab interior and a DCC decoder. Though it worked initially, this has now 'failed' and requires some electrical attention - possibly a new decoder.

I decided to tackle the body of the rebuild first and then fit a decoder. The internet has plenty of pictures of these locomotives but I struggled to find rear views. In fact, only two came to light - 6400 which was the prototype rebuild and retained its rear platform. (It was wrecked when the 'Ocean' derailed in 2010 and has since been cut up). The other picture a rather distant view was 6444 which I wished to avoid as it, too, was recently wrecked in the accident art Aldershot. I asked a friend to take some rear views for me and these are some good close-ups of 6416 on which the following pictures are based.

The rear body was sawn off and replaced with 30thou styrene sheet. The winterisation hood is from Ericparts. Cab roof alterations were done with a sharp knife and files, and/or modelling filler. Among the jobs still to tackle are the aircon pod on the cab roof (there is a part offered by one of the manufacturers but I can't get hold of one, so I'll make it myself), two sets of triple horns on the cab roof, and an additional (third) light in the front of the hood. If anyone is interested, I'll post more shots as the job progresses.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-53764000-1333051455_thumb.jpg

post-1062-0-98000400-1333051542_thumb.jpg

post-1062-0-50690000-1333051636_thumb.jpg

Also with the Walthers model I think the trucks are in the wrong place - slightly too far forward giving it a wierd poise, although luckily the wheelbase looks about right - I was working on a Metra one a few years back and mulling whether to try and remount the chassis in a slightly different position, but Kato coming out with a quality Metra-spec model made me junk that project.

(Either way the Walthers is much better than the awful Bachmann one!)

Still, looks like a good project, looking forward to seeing how it goes! I hadn't realised they had enclosed the rear platforms on their rebuilds. :)

Yes, I have the front 'spoiler' to do, and the aircon box on the cab, and I've just ordered three sets of triple horns from Eric. Can't say I'm bothered enough about the truck position to do any major chassis alts, though.

I'll ask the mods to move this into the right bit of the USA/Canadian forum, though. Don't know why I managed to put it here - no wonder I couldn't find it!

Apparently the end platform/side doors rebuild was something to do with the aftermath of 9/11. My friend says it's not a great idea as they used the end door/platform for access to the baggage car and it had a lock and sensors for security. Looks to me like they needed extra equipment space for whatever is mounted on the roof above the doors.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived