Whilst doing yet more research into the Hfirrs scratchbuilding project, I happened across the following document, which is packed full of technical data about European wagons, including some of those seen in this country:

http://www.toppsmagic.dk/DB/db939_0500.pdf

(warning, it is a rather large file, some 900 pages).

Not only does it include drawings and dimensions for wagons, towards the rear it also includes drawings and dimensions of most of the bogie types used on RIV wagons. Although in German, most of it is fairly easily understood, particularly the pages about specific wagons. I, for one, am going to find this extremely useful for both current and future projects.

It, or something similar, used to be issued as a hard-covered book; someone very kindly gave me a copy a few years ago (he'd been BR's representative in Germany). Similar material is available for other railways; I have a copy of the Italian equivalent, dating from the 1970s. The web-sites of various national operators and wagon-owners often have pages of such stuff; in most cases, like the BR Diagram Books, it is of varying degrees of accuracy. When I get the main computer back, I'll try and post a few links.

Archived