Hornby class 50 dead

D1030western musketeer

Hi

I have suffered a severe burn out of 1 of my class 50s with factory sound .

I must explain i have run this and others on dc for some time now.

She appeared to start running very odd and flashed over with smoke appearing.

On removing the body i found the top i believe a 21pin decoder to be blackened and smouldering away.

Any ideas what has caused this and is it repairable,but does make me think what locos next and is putting me off sound locos on dc.

advice most welcome.

richard.

Have you tried replacing the decoder with a blanking plate and checking that the loco itself is still functioning? If so, then clearly the chip has burned out. Although DCC fitted locos can run on DC provided that the CVs haven't been set to disable this facility, I don't think Hornby recommend use on DC. The type of DC controller in use may have a bearing too (i.e. whether it is varaible resistance, electronic, is a feedback controller etc).

I have run 3 Hornby class 50s with factory sound on the same controllers for over 2yrs now.

I have now also had another one go on me today and have replaced with blanking 21pins and both work ok.

Is it just Hornby as i have swd sound fitted to a Heljan western/Bachmann 47 and 37 but does make me think that sound is not after all ment for dc.

richard.

Archived