Eratic running Hornby Class 60's

Superrams

Hi Guys,

My Hornby Class 60 (048 non sound), has suddenly decided to start juddering badly at slow speed. It has ran fine since iv'e had it, approximately 2 years, but has suddenly for no reason started doing this.

My trackwork is perfectly clean, as are the locomotive's wheels, and i have changed the decoder just in case it was it was that causing the problem, to no avail.

I have a feeling that this is not a major problem, therefore i don't want to have to pay a quote of £35 + p & p that i have been quoted for the repair.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or can anyone advise as to why this has started happening.

I also have another Hornby Class 60 (014) in which the head / tail lights do not come on until the loco starts picking up speed.

I have seen this problem before with the Hornby 60, which although this doesn't interfere with running, is quite annoying.

Again, has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Thanks

Cheers

Superrams

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a similar problem with head and tail lights coming on and going off seemingly randomly as speed increased and decreased, changing the speed-step setting corrected it - I can't remember off the top of my head, I think I either changed it from 14 to 28 steps, or 28 to 128.

£35 + p&p for a repair when they don't even know whats wrong with it sounds steep. Its the kind of thing that if you brought it to our model railway club and we cured it we'd ask for a fiver in the donation box for the trouble. I suppose the shop has to make a living but it could be something just as simple as dirt on the pick up wipers.

Archived