Sound for L&Y locos

Dmudriver

HI All.

I know this is a long shot, but "if you don't ask, you don't get" and it's surprising what people on RMweb do know!!!

I've fitted a sound system into an 0 gauge Ivatt 2MT for one of our Club members - and got the exhaust "chuffs" synchronised with the wheels. That has created a fair bit of interest in other members. One of those members particularly interested models L&Y and is wondering whether there are any sound systems for L&Y locos. At the moment, he has no preference for any particular loco. Obviously there are problems with lack of recordings, etc but I believe there are a couple of locos preserved, so I wondered if anyone had made any recordings from those.

I've checked SWD, Digitrains, Howes and Olivia's websites but can find nothing. He is going to make enquiries among members of the L&Y Society, and I said I would ask on here.

Any help or comments would be gratefully received.

Rod

HI All.

I know this is a long shot, but "if you don't ask, you don't get" and it's surprising what people on RMweb do know!!!

I've fitted a sound system into an 0 gauge Ivatt 2MT for one of our Club members - and got the exhaust "chuffs" synchronised with the wheels. That has created a fair bit of interest in other members. One of those members particularly interested models L&Y and is wondering whether there are any sound systems for L&Y locos. At the moment, he has no preference for any particular loco. Obviously there are problems with lack of recordings, etc but I believe there are a couple of locos preserved, so I wondered if anyone had made any recordings from those.

I've checked SWD, Digitrains, Howes and Olivia's websites but can find nothing. He is going to make enquiries among members of the L&Y Society, and I said I would ask on here.

Any help or comments would be gratefully received.

Rod

Rod,

At the risk of a lot of flack, one steam chuff can sound very much like another and Howes et al will use generic chuffs if no recordings are available. What is the killer is the whistle as they did have regional differences. Recording a preserved whistle is sometimes no help as a lot of the locos in preservation have had 'other' whistles fitted at some stage. Again the right generic whistle is important but it has to be said that people who can actually and accurately place a straight whistle that the L & Y would use assuming they didn't just take what was supplied, are far and few between.

It is best to concentrate on getting the playing of the decoder right so that all the hisses, clanks and wheezes are played at the right moment when running the loco.

Which decoder are you using?

Not sure if they are currently operational, but the K&WVR has a LYR 2F 0-6-0. There is the Saddle Tank version and an 'A' Class 3F 0-6-0 knocking about somewhere. These locos had/have a quite distinctive wooof, maybe caused by the long chimney, which even today I remember as being very unlike the quieter chaff of a LMS 4F 0-6-0.

Hi David and Coachman.

Thanks for your replies. I agree the whistle is important, David, and I also agree that finding someone who can remember them would be difficult. However, someone is bound to produce an old recording of one after it's done!! (I seem to remember "Transargo" or something similar as being the name on old recordings - in the days when stereo was new and you could hear trains rushing across the room!!! I never did ask the neighbours what they thought!!)

As for decoder, it will depend on what sounds we can find, then what model locos he's got, then what we can fit in to the loco - quite a few imponderables yet!!

Coachman, the lad himself mentioned this distinctive wooof, and the long chimney. I'll see what he comes up with from his contacts in the L&Y Society.

Thank you both for your help. I'll update when there's more progress.

Rod

PS I don't know how this got to be the first post: I just pressed the "Post" key.

Archived