Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Portsea Town

lash

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Sub, its really good to know I've touched a cord with another modeller and very encouraging

I am going to produce a mixed list of jobs ,some quick and easy some fiddly (anything to do with third rail !)  so I can see some progress ,that way I can keep up momentum better when I do get going.

• RMweb Premium

Guess what I've been doing this morning waiting for ikea delivery.still just about sane, well no les so than before and third rail may be preferable to self assembly furniture

Jobs for today:

Two lengths of third rail laid

Start on overall roof rebuild

Feeling purposeful

post-9154-0-82213700-1377340077_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did manage two lengths of third rail today but didn't get to work on the overall roof as flat packs intervened

Managed a quick time out to the Hobby Goblin in Burslem and ordered a Hornby Southern signal box, the one based on Deal I think. I will build my own LSWR type 2 box one day but as mentioned before the story is a second world war incendiary got the old box and a standard Southern design was provided in its place .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Done a bit of sorting in the railway room, shared with my tropical fish who are all big Southern fans, and laid some more third rail . This was around points and I like the effect.I also think I might be getting faster and neater at the job but that is probably just illusion and I will be punished by this evenings efforts springing off the sleepers in a shower of peco insulators tomorrow morning

Anyway here is a pic of tonight's efforts

post-9154-0-09200100-1377470075_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick post to round off the weekend

Modelling is steady but slow and I have managed a few hours this weekend . I think I have threaded my last Peco insulators on code 60 to complete all the third rail and will try to complete the job by midweek .

Deep breath and move on....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nathan and Westerham thank you , I have mentioned before how much I get out of the encouragement of other RM members

I thought I might finish laying the third rail tonight but I had a horror with one length so there are still a couple of lengths around points to complete the job. It is hard work, but to me no worse than ballasting or electrics and it really is such a statement of where and what the layout is about . If you look back on the previous entries for Portsea you will see I nearly didn't do it but the arrival of the 2 Bil was a game changer for me ,a total must have and it had to run on a representation of the proper track .

Now if you really want to admire third rail and all about it look at St Mary Hoo, P4 and the third rail works !!!! Totally beyond my ability , persistence and comprehension ,brilliant :O

• RMweb Premium

Reconected wiring and sorted a sticky point, looks like I have two dodgy soldered conections I need to deal with, now that should be gun with the third rail in the way....I like a challenge

• RMweb Premium

Electrics all ok .

Managed soldering without melting anything so into the weekend with a positive attitude and a mixture of fun and necessary jobs

Patching ballast

Painting platforms

Canopies

More soon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few pics to show what the hard work has achieved .I really am rather pleased with the over all effect. I am sure it would look a little crude in close up but I take the view its aimed at the impression from the usual viewing distance

Oh and yes I have been playing trains

post-9154-0-32103200-1378550559_thumb.jpg

post-9154-0-90903600-1378550667_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very busy time at work and feeling somewhat ancient, however I have managed to build a WIlls canopy .so to encourage me and all other snailspace modellers here are a couple of pics.

I'vis opted for single columns having checked an old photo of Southampton Terminus and taken my own pics of the low level at Portsmouth and Southsea, not quite sure how it will stand up on the island platform but the look is right so I'll just have to be inventive

Incidentally I met a very stroppy security chap on the station who was not at all happy at me taking pics of the canopy, I was just standing on the platform , my bolshy libertarian side is not too happy about that but hey ho he had a job to do and maybe there is an etiquette I do not know.

post-9154-0-33836400-1381961255_thumb.jpgpost-9154-0-97958300-1381961388_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had told myself it was decorating this weekend but my back is playing up so managed a couple of hours modelling

Worked on the canopies, pics to follow , and on the fiddle yard aligning tracks and laying the first point. First progress in ages

post-9154-0-12657700-1384043051_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I seem to recognise something there Lash! I do like your third rail work and ballasting. Have you thought of screwing down the canopy from the underside of the platform? Some fine self-tappers should do it as long as you pre-drill the holes in the stanchions.

• RMweb Premium

Managed some more progress

Canopy painted except for the columns wnd supports,, I just need to check the correct shade of green

More track layed in the fiddle yard . I am pinning rather than gluing so repositioning is straight forward and the track is laid on scrap balsa strips to keep it level

The key objective was to have one track capable of taking my 4 cep , so as you can see from the pics job done thanks to gruffalo's peco short y

post-9154-0-53468900-1384124554_thumb.jpg

post-9154-0-49119500-1384124590_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed another hour tonight after a healthy game of tennis and a not so healthy visit to the pub

Track laying in fiddle yard now completed. Wiring next.

Very pleased to be getting this done as it means I can play trains properly and no doubt that will spur me on.Also the track was all done on a shoe string, bargain code 100 from a show, one second hand point and two donated and restored and 3 peco isolation switches picked up for a song. Just goes to show if we help each other and keep an eye out for a bargain this can be a very economic hobby

post-9154-0-97401700-1384296341_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David . I follow your Dover sagas and really enjoy them

A bit of clearing up the fiddle yard and getting it ready for some basic wiring next week.

I also painted the Wills canopy ,now resplendent in cream, green and roof dirt on top and ready for some dry brush weathering to create that smoke stained ,peeling ,overdue for a repaint and neglected early 60s look. Ah happy days ,the Shadows ,Coke in the Manhattan coffee bar in Southsea with big sister as a Saturday treat, flannel school shorts that chafe and cors, bils and the occasional glimpse of a steam engine shunting at Fratton waiting for dad on the Waterloo train

One issue is painting the platform surfaces . I have coats and coats of artists acrylic in a greyish mix ,rubbed down both wet and dry ,but it still isn't right for a somewhat grotty tarmac surface ,any ideas out there please. Is Woodland Scenics road surface an idea ?

Nostalgic of Wolstanton