whats best to protect a wooden base for my garden railway ?

juggy0_1

Hello, i just started laying 20ft long 9"x3" beams for my garden railway (see pic), i have for the first part given them two coats of wood preservative, my question is, will that be enough to preserve the wood for a good few years ?, i have looked at some layouts and they have roofing felt over the wood, is this a better long term option than the preservative ?, as i would have thought condensation would be trapped under the felt promoting damp rot. (and yes that is a toilet with flowers in it in the background, its the wifes idea of a 'feature' !!)

Many thanks

darren

post-5117-0-11849100-1333626371_thumb.jpg

Darren - are these in contact with the ground? If so I'd probably not plan for them to last too long, if they're raised then wood preservative will be ok - make sure you treat the cut ends, and use the grooves on tongue and groove facing down. Belt and braces adding tar paper does improve it's appearance from a track perspective, but adds cost. If you think you'll dig it all up and replace with something more permanent in the future, keep it simple. If you want ten years out of it, then time, money and effort now will be worth it.

I agree with James above. For raised sections treated wood with roofing felt nailed on (use galvanised roofing nails) is fine. For track at ground level I graded the soil, compacted it, laid a visquene (thick polythene) strip, (or use geotex) and put down 1" of fine stone chippings, I used the flat roofing type of chippings

Peco G track laid directly onto this. no need to fix it. Mine's been down 15 years, easilly maintained works & and looks fine.

post-6884-0-76952500-1333659776.jpg

Brit15

Hi James, the beams on the embankment are raised off the floor with an air gap of a few inches, but the rest will be raised on concrete pillars, i've installed another 30ft today (see pic), i've given everything another liberall dose of timber treatment especially the ends before theyre laid. i just hope i can get it finished before the bloody summers over and i can only run a snow plough !!.

thanks

post-5117-0-83620700-1333660136_thumb.jpg

Hi James the plan is too lay four tracks of OO giving me two lines going out and back which will give me about 250ft running length, and i'm going to lay a single line in G scale but i've only got about 30ft of G scale track sofar so thats a longer term plan to extend as money/accountant allows. The G scale stuff will be controlled with a basic controller but the OO locos that i have are all chipped up for a dynamis so im going to give that a go but i suspect bright sunlight might interfere with the infra red signal, thats if we ever have any sunny days left this year !

• RMweb Gold

When buying timber if you can afford tanalised it will last much longer. I think the stuff sold for decking by the better builders merchants would be tanalised.

Don

Archived