West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Brilliant videos Rod, Craig will be salivating when he sees them!!!

How many sound decoders are in the 115 set, as it sounds like more than one to me.

Love the bounce on the signals too.

Keep the videos coming

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

The 115 has got powered bogies in each power car and each motor has a small Zimo chip operating it, with a speaker in each car. The sound has been done by Paul Chetter (aka Pauliebanger) and the chips are paired: the horn, for example, only sounds at the leading end (and the horn sounds at either end are slightly different). Similarly, the guard's whistle only sounds in the rear car and the buzzer sounds in the driving car first and then in the rear one second (as the prototype). You can even do a cold start where one car's engines start one after the other - with a pause in between - and then the other end's engines do the same - after the driver's had time to walk from one end to the other. The warm start is one engine at each end together, followed by the other engine at each end together. The "different" horn sounds are programmed into the chip - so, on my chips, F13 plays "On Ilkla Moor baht 'at" and F14 is "Victory". And yes, I've played Ilkla Moor quite often when I was driving!!

The signal bounce is courtesy of the GF Controls signal control unit which can be seen at the base of the Up Home signal. These operate all the signals, including the ground ones - one per 2 signals.

As for videos, we've just got fibre broadband round here so that might speed up uploading: I'll have it if it's not too expensive. The other thing is finding different viewpoints, but I'll work on it!

Rod

• Like 2

Hi Rod, looks good with the scenery extension coming along outside, what is happening further down the line as far as storage lines go ?

PS I haven't forgot about your Nefyn request.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig.

Probably just grass and a fence in front of the track outside. The golf tee and then a line of trees hiding the fairway behind the tracks. That's the concept at the moment, anyway. I've a pal from the club who's happy to help with the scenery (he's doing the golfing scene for me), so I'll see what he comes up with, too.

I'm also researching Nefyn but I'll contact you before I do anything.

Rod

PS I've just realised ..... this thread's gone over 1000 posts!!!

Edited by Dmudriver

PS I've just realised ..... this thread's gone over 1000 posts!!!

Congratulations on the 1K post number!!!  :dancing:

Jinty ;)

Edited as I forgot to say, I've had some static grass from WWS, they advertise on the forum, but the products look great, and a good variety!!!

Edited by Jintyman

Congratulations on the 1K post number!!! :dancing:Jinty ;)Edited as I forgot to say, I've had some static grass from WWS, they advertise on the forum, but the products look great, and a good variety!!!

Don't they do some really long static grass?

Paul R

Edited by pwr

Rod

Will you be using static grass

Paul R

Hi Paul.

Right at the moment, I don't know!! I thought I would, and I've bought a couple of "sieves" but I have a feeling that covering an area like I've got is going to be time-consuming. A pal at the club is keen on teddy bear fur but so far I'm not convinced. I need to look elsewhere and see who's used it and what the results are. It's a fluid situation at the moment!!

Rod

Don't they do some really long static grass?

Paul R

Hi Paul,

Yes they do, from 2mm through to over 12mm if I remember correctly.

Their Website: http://www.war-world.co.uk/

No connection, just very satisfied.

A pal at the club is keen on teddy bear fur but so far I'm not convinced. I need to look elsewhere and see who's used it and what the results are. It's a fluid situation at the moment!!

Rod

You'll have all the activists round using Teddy Bear Fur!!!!

Just make sure no Teddy Bears are harmed and you should be ok.

If I remember correctly John Ryan had someone in to do some of his scenic, and they used TBF. Might be worth a look through some of his videos.

Jinty ;)

Hi Paul,Yes they do, from 2mm through to over 12mm if I remember correctly.Their Website: http://www.war-world.co.uk/No connection, just very satisfied.You'll have all the activists round using Teddy Bear Fur!!!!Just make sure no Teddy Bears are harmed and you should be ok.If I remember correctly John Ryan had someone in to do some of his scenic, and they used TBF. Might be worth a look through some of his videos.Jinty ;)

You could probably use teddy bear fur and static grass in combination. I think they did this on Gifford Street. There was an article in BRM about it. I will try and remember to look it out

Paul R

• Like 1

Rod

Have you thought about using these?

post-3038-0-07287200-1439731322_thumb.jpg

I bought one last week at around £11. Not sure of the size but you probably wouldn't need too many. This is 12mm static grass on a mat and it can be formed over terrain and used with other materials to create the prefect embankment.

This came from Gaugemaster but there are other makes around albeit maybe not in 12 mm length 

regards

Paul R

Hi Paul.

Yes, I've seen pictures of it, but not seen one "in the flesh" yet.  It does look promising though.

Will you put some pics on your thread when you start to lay it?  Or is that going to have to wait until your Mark 1 is finished?

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Not been writing anything on here for a while - though I do still come on and follow what others are doing!!  Basically, I haven't done much!!  If I'm honest with myself, I think it's because I've not got the confidence to hold my nose and jump in on the scenery side.  I'm also a bit sceptical about the teddy bear fur (try saying that with a Scouse accent - yes, I am a Scouser!!!) but I am willing to be convinced.

I go into my shed and look at what I have to do and then start shunting stock around, which doesn't help with getting the job done - but is very enjoyable!!

However, what has taken a bit of time is the club's diorama which is being exhibited at Telford.  At our AGM  last year, we were discussing bringing in new members and I proposed that we build a simple diorama that we could take to general railway model shows and maybe craft fairs and the like, to show how to get started in 0 gauge.  "Great idea", everyone said.  "You do it"!!!  (Doesn't this always happen??!!)  So I set out to make it a club project: one member designed and built the baseboards: with assistance, I laid the Peco tracks, built and laid the C&L track and points; and did the electrics (with all of this I had some help as another club member wanted to learn).  Then 3 others got to work on the scenery - from ballasting to low relief buildings, backscenes to people, and teddy bear fur to static grass.

I've just finished doing some briefing sheets/handouts: briefing sheets for some members who have said they'll give a few hours on the stand and also handouts for visitors if they are interested in specific aspects.  Unfortunately not all the lads who've worked on it can come to Telford and those who can (apart from me!) can't come for 2 days.  I'll be setting it up on Friday and I'll be there until Sunday afternoon - hopefully getting away earlyish on the Sunday afternoon (someone else will bring it back as I'm not going straight back.)

If anyone fancies coming and having a chat - and let us know what you think of the idea - it's Stand D14 "Simple layout design" by Rod Morgan and Preston 0 Gauge Group.  Just hope I'm not looking too tired from standing up (and talking) all the time!!! 

More soon.

Rod

• Like 3

Hello Rod, I hope it all goes well at Telford, I can't make it this year as Sunday is my Son's 18th so it is a significant family occasion for us, feel free to contact me next week for a chance to have a quick meet up.

Best regards

Craig

Good luck with it Rod. Unfortunately I won't be at Telford, I'm working, but I hope you and the Club have a good weekend from it.

Just a small point, on the scenery side, I am rather new to it as well, and I don't want to make a hash of a load of hand built track. So I've got a small board (4' x 1'), put a bit of framing on it, built up some track, and I'm going to have a go on there first, and use it as a photographic plank.

But after seeing your ballasting, I don't think you should have any apprehension at all.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

What a good idea - a practice plank!!!  I've painted a piece of card to practice with static grass, but never thought of going a bit further than that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the ballast, I've done that for years, so it holds no fears for me.  I've always shied away from scenery.  But not now - deep breath, hold the nose, and ...... jump in!!!

Rod

Hi Don.

Yes, I can do that - it'll have to have photos of the finished article as I didn't take any as we built it.  However, that should be OK as we've started basic at one end and built up as we've moved along.  It'll be a week or 2, though, so don't hold your breath!!!

Rod

PS     On this and the other replies, the "Reply quoting this post" button doesn't work.  Whether it's anything to do with Windows 10 or nor, I don't know.