West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Barnaby said:

come to a mutual pleasing agreement

Ah, the importance of distinguishing between an adjective (as typed) and an adverb (with “ly” at the end).

(Not being picky, just sharing a laugh!)

Edited by Regularity
  • Funny 2

Hi all.

One advantage of having Covid is that, being required to isolate, you can play trains - so I have!!  Well ... after I'd sorted out a few repair jobs - a battery box became part detached from the 2-car 108 and jammed the unit on a point, breaking the thing off completely!; the middle bolt joining floor to roof on the 116 worked loose and jammed in the fiddle yard double slip, resulting in a twisted screw link coupling and a detached buffer on the 128 (unpowered 116 leading stopped dead, powered 128 pushing didn't!!);  the 101's squeaking was traced to a number of brake blocks dragging on the wheels;  the Heljan tanker didn't like 31.5mm gauge - checked B2B, too wide, so narrowed down, now improved; the unpainted van derailed on the fiddle yard double slip - B2B too narrow - widened, now OK; and a couple of other fiddly jobs I can't recall at the moment!!

When I did get playing today, I ran a bit of a timetable - here's a flavour.  The 101, on a trip from Helsby, is checked at the Down Outer Home signal as he will be entering an occupied platform:  P1060608.JPG.7625ba3687621f759b079e4ab1a65842.JPG

The signal started to clear as soon as the cameramann pressed the shutter!  It was then caught passing the Down Inner Home signal giving access to occupied platform 2:

P1060611.JPG.fb3ab9783de4c78df8009851847d273a.JPG

And entering platform 2 to stop on top of a 205 recently arrived from Birkenhead:

P1060612.JPG.654d78fcc9a234f129765754f57497af.JPG

As soon as the conflicting route is cleared, the signalman gives the road to a 115 for a service to Birkenhead from platform 1:

P1060613.JPG.63f645e82d31dc22adc0822e7de31f24.JPG

Platform 1 is immediately filled by an incoming 5-car service from Chester:

P1060615.JPG.206d43957c972086ad5bf9d92278f3d8.JPG

Chester services have been augmented to 5 cars as the frequency has been reduced to allow more paths for parcels trains (letters to the local press have inevitably followed, but at least the complainers all get seats!!).  Closely following the Chester is an incoming parcels train headed by 50021 "Rodney" on a running-in turn from Crewe.  Pictured passing the Down Inner Home signal, with the ground signal (30) cleared for entry to the sidings:

P1060616.JPG.447484428b54f542b664f6d8098b12a9.JPG

Pictured arriving in no.1 siding:

P1060617.JPG.e3f1725f70a482a41f3914eed99e1100.JPG

The 08 is standing ready to reverse the train (and remove the 12t van which will go Moreton later in the day).  As the parcels has been drawing into the siding, the signalman has set the route for a Helsby service to depart from platform 2 (the driver did manage to get a brew!!):

P1060620.JPG.d117c91e575a0335924d60bd4099f10d.JPG

Not so the signalman - it's all go for him at this time in the morning at WKT!!  And so the day goes on ..........

I took the pics on my digital camera and they're not as sharp as I'd have liked them to be - and I don't know why!!  Apologies for that!

I've used the Lenz LH101 controller for most of the session and, briefly, I really like it!  It's so much easier controlling the running with the rotary knob, although that is very sensitive and I did a couple of times knock it when I was reverting to the stack for the next unit, only to put a bit of power on to the unit I had just finished with: I found the units hard up against the buffer stops with the wheels turning!!  The stack only supports 8 addresses and I've got 11 units/locos so what I've done is to put the 7 MUs in and I use the 8th space for the locos (08, 25, 37 and 50), entering them separately as required.  The stack on the LH100 holds 12 addresses but only goes one way: if you want address 5 after you've just used address 6, you have to go through 11 to get to the one you want: with the LH101 you can go either way.  I said the rotary knob is sensitive - you press it to change direction, do an emergency stop on a unit/loco, and confirm a choice, but if you press it for too long, it cuts off the power to the layout!!  I did that at Shepton Mallett and on my layout here, but I'm learning from my mistakes!!  There are other (minor) differences but all in all, as I get more used  to it, I much prefer it to the LH100.

As for the Covid, I'm not too bad - apart from being very tired!!  Thank goodness - and scientists!! - for vaccines.  Last day of isolation tomorrow, so the NHS Covid app tells me!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 16

A nice sequence of photos, they look ok on this tablet. Glad to hear that you're having a mild covid, hope the after-effects don't linger too long.

You may recall that a while ago there was a discussion about proposed post WW2 redevelopment plans for the West Kirby stations. During my covid recovery, I've come up with a narrative to make it work...

In May 1941, a lost German bomber (damaged, I think at least one crashed in the Dee) unloaded a stick of bombs that stitched the station site from the signal box to the booking office, causing catastrophic damage, beyond economic repair at the time. A temporary island platform was set up in the goods yard behind the Joint station and the wrecked Wirral signal box replaced by an ARP style one.  After the war, and with the onset of Nationalisation, rather than replace the old station the Joint and the Wirral stations were combined as per the plan!

Oh Brave New World!

It might even have saved the Joint from closure in the 50s....

Edited by Hroth
Forgot a bit I meant to say!
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 15/04/2022 at 13:00, pwr said:

J and M Hughes would probabkly do you the sides for them!

Paul R

Yes that's definitely in the pipeline one day, probably the bodyshell for the 501 with etches for the grilles on the same sheet 

Michael

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The timing of those photos is exquisite as I was going to ask you how the 101 wipers compare to Derby style. I asked Easybuild if I could buy some of theirs hoping to improve a Dapol 121 but the only ones not part of a main fret are from the 101. They do look smaller in those photos but still better than the Dapol mouldings, even if just an interim fix until I can source others.

edit: though i should add they arrived a couple of days after our chat, are the sane size but much finer than Dapols and Shawn gave me them for free. I shall probably buy a coach kit now so a good result for all!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2022 at 06:54, Hroth said:

a lost German bomber (damaged, I think at least one crashed in the Dee) unloaded a stick of bombs that stitched the station site

Are we to infer from this that one would only ever have bombed West Kirby by accident?

• Funny 2

On 22/04/2022 at 07:48, Hal Nail said:

Are we to infer from this that one would only ever have bombed West Kirby by accident?

The nearest actual bomb damage in the district was a rather off-target stick that fell around Guffits Rake in Meols*, a few miles away.  I can only imagine that West Kirby would have been deliberately bombed if dear old Adolf had visited the seaside when he stayed at his relatives in Liverpool and didn't enjoy it!

* In similar circumstances to the one I outlined above, I believe.

Edited by Hroth
Added postscript clarification
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have the seagulls pecked their way out of the packaging yet?

Seeing as summer is approaching, here's a photo I took in the "Blue and Grey"* livery era from the other side of the platform gates with passengers, they were passengers then, leaving a train for the delights of West Kirby!

1498998424_WKSummerEarly80s.jpg.c1be431b9c8a91b0b61f92b0b2f2572e.jpg

Looks like its a warmish day!

Seeing how ratty the woodwork was, both in condition and paint, its no wonder the facilities were "refreshed". The bin looks rather tired too. Notice the passengers preparing to present tickets to the bloke in the cubbyhole.  

Its probably about time for some station refreshment once more...

* You can just see the livery behind the passengers...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

they were passengers then,

I’m always amused that we have to call them ‘customers’ these days when a significant number are actually passengers because they are travelling with ‘intent to avoid payment of the fare’!

Paul.

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

here's a photo I took in the "Blue and Grey"* livery era from the other side of the platform gates with passengers, they were passengers then, leaving a train for the delights of West Kirby!

1498998424_WKSummerEarly80s.jpg.c1be431b9c8a91b0b61f92b0b2f2572e.jpg

Thanks for the post - great shot! Do we have a year? Looks early 80s?

Seems like I've been away for a while!!   First of all Covid, then we went away to Anglesey for a week, during which I was getting more and more tired (not helped by an almost continual cough!!) and since then I've been feeling shattered, though the cough has virtually gone.  I'm not the only one to suffer post-Covid, though, from what I'm reading on RMweb and picking up from elsewhere so it's a case of just getting on with it.

However, my computer seems to have picked up Covid and is now suffering the very same slow moving symptoms!!  I'm not sure I've sorted it yet or just got used to it!!

Anyway, the seagulls have arrived and, I have to admit, there was a bit of a WTF moment when I opened the package and found seagulls with 8 or 9 legs!!   I've not had any 3D printed stuff before so wasn't expecting that.  They are, however, sitting which, from my observations, only happens on the nest.  It's unlikely they'd be nesting on a station roof so I'll just have to hope I don't have too many avid birdwatchers following this thread!!  They're yet to be painted but I've shown them in position in the 3rd and 4th pics below.

I've taken the roses off the watering cans and they have been made up (all 3 pieces of them!) and painted and are now in place on the layout.  One is on the plarform edge where a "in-a-bit-of-a- hurry" driver has left it and the other is at the base of a lamp post awaiting the next thirsty DMU.

20220515_164855.jpg.0275bd74723f330f922c434265e5e147.jpg

20220515_164908.jpg.dbe93ae6bcca9d9a701c2a9007eda1d3.jpg

And here are the unpainted seagulls:

20220515_164922.jpg.52c6042a9345368a0fe6df2c85c2f7f3.jpg

20220515_165007.jpg.eaf1297e119818d68fdaabcf8677b757.jpg

Painting them is a pretty urgent job but there's been more done on the layout - see next post as I've run out of picture allowance.

Rod

• Like 6

I mentioned a few posts ago that I'd acquired on loan a Lenz LH101 hand controller and that it didn't have a clip on the back.  "Parking" it when I wasn't using it was a bit of a problem so I got some right angle brackets from the local B&Q and made some.  Basically, 2 brackets side by side so that the wire hangs down in the gap as the controller sits on the brackets.  I've positioned them between gaps in the leaning bars as getting them under the bars and into the brackets was extremely fiddly.  I've used Gorilla Heavy Duty Grab adhesive as screwing upwards into the baseboard I found a bit difficult - even in daylight!!  Here's what they look like:

20220515_165120.jpg.5dc27d9aa70cc9532050d6b3c514c03a.jpg

20220515_165136.jpg.1f3bbe8f3b88de038e002bcfe307edfc.jpg

And the controller in place:

20220516_194646.jpg.11a144c9361bb712b24b026045a2d5ba.jpg

Not ideal as it sits a bit high but better than having it lie on the scenery.  And I've now acquired another one on loan.

And finally, the parcels stock has increased by the addition of these 3 vehicles.  

20220516_195832.jpg.b562556b7b8bf7a521ef4ecf029ff803.jpg

Sharp-eyed followers may recognise the 2 on the left as having been resident on the layout previously - a bit like the gulls, they've come home to roost!!

However, they don't like what they've found when they've come home:  the wheels do not like the 31.5mm pointwork!!  I think it's to do with the profile (and possibly the width) of the wheels.  Whatever the problem is, I'm going to have to replace them but it's not easy to take the Sidelines brass bogies apart so I think I'll replace them with Easybuild ones - they do a 9' welded LMS bogie.  The e-LNER one is absolutely fine:  I think that's also a Sidelines kit but it has different wheels and run superbly through the new pointwork.

So that's me up to date.  More soon.

Rod

PS  I thought there was a 10Mb limit on pics but this post has gone over that, so maybe not anymore.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Just don't raise the subject of football, Paul, or you'll set me back again!!!

Rod

I won’t mention anything promise 😌🏆🏆🏆🏆

• Funny 1

hi Rod,

I’d not be surprised at all for seagulls to roost on the station roof, though whether somebody might clear them off, I don’t know.  Google “seagulls nesting on roof” on images!

Re your misbehaving bogies, do check the BTB and, possibly more important, the thickness of the flanges.  You can’t do much about the flanges if they’re too thick, but the BTB can usually be adjusted and a drop of superglue to fix.

atb

Simon

2 hours ago, Simond said:

hi Rod,

I’d not be surprised at all for seagulls to roost on the station roof, though whether somebody might clear them off, I don’t know.  Google “seagulls nesting on roof” on images!

Re your misbehaving bogies, do check the BTB and, possibly more important, the thickness of the flanges.  You can’t do much about the flanges if they’re too thick, but the BTB can usually be adjusted and a drop of superglue to fix.

atb

Simon

Hi Simon.

Yes, I've googled images of seabirds on roofs and there's plenty of justification for nests on flat roofs.  Now I've got to make some nests!!

With regard to the wheels, here are 2 pics showing the difference in the flanges.  The wheels that go through perfectly are at the bottom in the first pic and top in the second - though it's obvious really, isn't it?  My feeling is the others definitely need changing.

20220518_195507.jpg.45a6147d3749e1f2dbf4dc9ce1c3d6c3.jpg

20220518_195243.jpg.57288dc3db9254de124bde2e21b8d3c0.jpg

Just to clarify, in the top picture the nearest wheel isn't really brown/bronze - that's shadow!!

Rod

• Like 2

Rod,

yes, entirely clear, those flanges are, how can I put it, “rather generously proportioned”.  I can see why they ain’t going down a narrower flangeway.  

I see your issue with getting them out too.  I guess the east solution is new bogies.  Frustrating though.

birds’ nests?  Dried grass clippings?  Otherwise, perhaps take the snips to an old toothbrush?

On 12/05/2022 at 07:59, billy_anorak59 said:

Thanks for the post - great shot! Do we have a year? Looks early 80s?

Early eighties, if forced to choose a date, possibly '82/3 as I got my first proper camera about then, a Cosina CT1 SLR.

5 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Just don't raise the subject of football, Paul, or you'll set me back again!!!

Rod

According to family tradition, a relative had some sort of (minor) role in the formation of EFC, so the family has always had a preference for the club, rather than the other lot!  This season has been rather fraught and lots of limbs are crossed...

Back to WKT, the watering cans look good, though at present the gulls look rather more like pigeons...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd instinctively* feel that nests would be tucked in next to the skylight rather than by the canopy edge.

*I feel I should perhaps qualify this assertion as i am not actually a gull.

edit: I've just remembered they are only there to point out magnets.

How about strategic white bird sh&£?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 22:48, Hroth said:

This season has been rather fraught and lots of limbs are crossed...

All uncrossed now!

Phew, that was close.....

I've probably posted this one before, but I expect that it's not been revived yet, so that's my excuse!

waitingforatrain.jpg.61f956266c25942ea09069cabf582c67.jpg

A murky winters afternoon as a 503 approaches the platforms at West Kirby...

Cheerful, eh?  Makes you appreciate the Summer. Which may arrive sooner or later!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

All uncrossed now!

Phew, that was close.....

I'm staying in Southampton so have seen Saints quite a lot this season and, at least in the middle part, they looked really good. Have ended up one point above Everton. Its a funny old game, son!