West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

waitingforatrain.jpg.61f956266c25942ea09069cabf582c67.jpg

A murky winters afternoon as a 503 approaches the platforms at West Kirby...

Cheerful, eh?  Makes you appreciate the Summer. Which may arrive sooner or later!

I thought that was summer!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hroth said:

All uncrossed now!

Phew, that was close.....

I'll be honest, I shut myself off from the match completely!!  Didn't think my nerves could take the tension!!  Only knew the result when my son rang me, elated!! - he'd been sat in his garden on his own, following it on BBC text.  A pal of his who was at the match left at half time, disgusted, and paid £60 for a taxi to get him home to somewhere in Cheshire!!  He's had a fair bit of ridicule since!!

Breathe again time!!

• Like 3

On 18/05/2022 at 16:57, PjKing1 said:

I won’t mention anything promise 😌🏆🏆🏆🏆

You can talk about football again now, Paul!!!  

I might even keep my fingers crossed for your lot on Sunday!!

9 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

You can talk about football again now, Paul!!!  

I might even keep my fingers crossed for your lot on Sunday!!

Now there is a true gentleman and there’s not many of us left 😇 at least the best Derby in the country is safe 🤣

• Like 2

Not a lot done since last week - I'm still feeling shattered after that bout of Covid.  However, been to the doctor's today and it looks like the virus has kicked off a condition that has been under control for a considerable number of years: a change of medication and some tests to undergo and then hopefully we'll get on top of it again.   Hey ho, such is life.

But ... I have been out in the garden and done a bit of playing.  However, that also threw up some problems, like a JLTRT tie bar that had come unsoldered - only noticed it when a DMU went completely the wrong way at the station throat!!  Plus the fact that the two piece tie bar was starting to split.  Those problems are sorted now but then I noticed a window out of the trailer car of the Reggie Rail 101.  Getting at it was a bit involved and I had to unsolder the wires to the chip that controls the lights - only to solder them back the wrong way round with the result that it shorted the whole layout as soon as it went back on the track!!

I was about to say "soon sorted" but it took a bit longer than that!!   One of the buffers fell off and needed gluing back on: a bit tricky as the buffer shank is in 2 parts.  It's now back on the track and all is working fine at least until the next issue!!   I've tried to get a pic of the buffer to show what I mean but I can't get a decent one.

I've rung Shawn about a couple of pairs of LMS bogies but he's not able to get at his stock for a couple of weeks so I've to ring him the week after next: he does have them in stock, though.

And that's it for an update so far.  More soon.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 6

17 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Not a lot done since last week - I'm still feeling shattered after that bout of Covid.  However, been to the doctor's today and it looks like the virus has kicked off a condition that has been under control for a considerable number of years: a change of medication and some tests to undergo and then hopefully we'll get on top of it again.   Hey ho, such is life.

But ... I have been out in the garden and done a bit of playing.  However, that also threw up some problems, like a JLTRT tie bar that had come unsoldered - only noticed it when a DMU went completely the wrong way at the station throat!!  Plus the fact that the two piece tie bar was starting to split.  Those problems are sorted now but then I noticed a window out of the trailer car of the Reggie Rail 101.  Getting at it was a bit involved and I had to unsolder the wires to the chip that controls the lights - only to solder them back the wrong way round with the result that it shorted the whole layout as soon as it went back on the track!!

I was about to say "soon sorted" but it took a bit longer than that!!   One of the buffers fell off and needed gluing back on: a bit tricky as the buffer shank is in 2 parts.  It's now back on the track and all is working fine at least until the next issue!!   I've tried to get a pic of the buffer to show what I mean but I can't get a decent one.

I've rung Shawn about a couple of pairs of LMS bogies but he's not able to get at his stock for a couple of weeks so I've to ring him the week after next: he does have them in stock, though.

And that's it for an update so far.  More soon.

Rod

Frustrating that. I have a multitude of repairs as a result of my recent running session. Broken brake pipes, window frames and alterations to the cassettes are going to have to be tackled.

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2022 at 14:36, pwr said:

Frustrating that. I have a multitude of repairs as a result of my recent running session.

I made a list of all the repairs the other day.

Then added one I'd already done so i could cross something off.

Always end on a high!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 19:49, Hal Nail said:

I made a list of all the repairs the other day.

Then added one I'd already done so i could cross something off.

Always end on a high!

I like that idea!!  😀

• Like 1

A tiny bit of progress!!  I've sold the 2x pairs of Sidelines bogies off the ex-LMS full brakes and ordered 2x pairs of Easybuild replacements: they should be in the post today.

The Dingham couplings need the buffer heads to protrude from the buffer beam by 12.5mm but the Sidelines ones protrude by 14 to 14.5mm.  They are self-contained, sprung buffers and the spring is quite strong.  I've used some plastic tube  to hold them in position - see pics below.  This is a good interference fit except on one for some reason where the buffer shank seems to be a bit narrower so I had to superglue that one in place -   and managed to superglue the buffer itself in place - the right place, fortunately!!

20220607_122709.jpg.dddd9dce0592503ef57200116835dcec.jpg

20220607_122627.thumb.jpg.9238f2dcc39ad94cc468c0e450434d31.jpg

How they will stand up to the vibration when running is to be seen: I'm hoping they'll be OK but experience will tell.

In the meantime, I've not done much running (of the layout, not physical running!!) though I do go out and shunt stock about - running up to the hole in the shed wall in rear of signals 44/36.  I'm still suffering from the after effects of this ****** Covid - still tired.  Goodness knows what it would have been like without vaccinations!!  However, you can't sit around feeling sorry for yourself so I have been out and about - and slept rather well afterwards!! 😂

More soon, once the new bogies arrive.

Rod

PS  I've recently been looking at narrow gauge stuff (00-9) - I've always fancied it - I had an Eggerbahn railmotor  many, many years ago and there's a lot of stuff available now.  Maybe 0n30  might be a better idea, being that much bigger though whether I go as far as parting with some of my savings is another matter - but I can still dream!!

• Like 4

The Easybuild bogies have arrived and I've built the first pair, bar the axle box covers, but I first wanted to test the running and how they fitted onto the vehicles.  I don't know if everyone is familiar with Easybuild bogies, but they have a pivot which, when fitted to their coaches, ensures the correct ride height.  However, that doesn't work with Sidelines vehicles as the fixture on the chassis extends further down.  With Easybuild's pivot fitted in the recommended way the vehicle rides too high: turn it over and the vehicle sits on the bogie wheels!!  So what I've done is to turn the pivot the wrong way up and add washers to lift the body off the wheels.  This pic shows the overall situation:

20220610_114022.thumb.jpg.995f974b3dcd174a0ebf09c2a6141b50.jpg

and this one is the detail of the washers (superglued to each other and the pivot):

20220610_114101.thumb.jpg.b80f75ed0c2747b71c0fe8e043b8ec21.jpg

They now ride at just about the right height - as here:

20220610_115739.thumb.jpg.b0f16cffcb29a49e04e00fd45ac69065.jpg

and compared to a Heljan GUV, also on Easybuild bogies:

20220610_115650.thumb.jpg.84fed2fa87676e4df9cc784c660bc1a1.jpg

The downside of this method is that there is very little thread left on the screws that fix the bogie in place - I lost one just in pushing the vehicle up and down through pointwork! - so a blob of paint will be required to hold them in place once the couplings are fitted (and the axlebox covers, too!).

Overall, though, I'm happy so far.  However, I'll not start the second one until the first one is complete and running acceptably.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month since I last put anything on here - doesn't time fly?!!  I can't really say I've been that busy, either: I think I just lost my mojo!!

Anyway, I have done some work on the first ex-LMS parcels vehicle.  It is now finished apart from painting/weathering the new bogies.  It does run rather well but the Dinghams were a bit fiddly to set up, mainly because the slot in the buffer beam was too big.  That's now sorted - by gluing one of the Dingham coupling plates (if that's the right word) inside the buffer beam to keep the coupling in place.  I've used a spring to hold it in place rather than gluing and this had to be packed between the floor and the coupling to maintain the correct height.  All a bit fiddly but not difficult.

Here's what it looks like in a train of mixed parcels vehicles:

20220708_164922.thumb.jpg.2e826c4482f07d8f7bbd20d3179c65d9.jpg

Missing from that rake is a Heljan GUV which is pictured with the newly-fitted vehicle here:

20220708_165529.thumb.jpg.39d8b83fb3a2565f5806ea7e612190ab.jpg

While they're not obvious in the pics, the axlebox covers are now fitted!!

That Heljan GUV seemed to cause a few problems with an Easybuild BG when it was coupled behind it: one bogie of the BG kept derailing on one particular point in the station throat.  I thought it was because I had put too much weight in the GUV, so I took the weights out but the problem persisted.  It turned out eventually that the problem was the bogie retaining screw on the BG was too tight and the bogie was not turning easily (there's also a slight gauge narrowing on the point which didn't help but as it's a 32mm one it doesn't really cause problems).

However, getting the body off the GUV was a bit of a challenge - it kept wanting to spring back on!!   Got it done in the end, though, and everything works OK now.  I really must get the electromagnets for the couplings - but after I've done the 2nd ex-LMs vehicle.

I did mention about holding the nuts on the bogie retaining screw in place with paint.  However, I've used masking tape instead:

20220708_171710.thumb.jpg.2ec165c599c36cbf2233ffe4a0551d43.jpg

From previous experience, that will work fine and it's easier to remove than paint.

Now I've done it with one, it's on to the next one.

More soon.  In the meantime, it's watching some of the Southport Air Show from St Annes with binoculars - and as I type something has just flown over the house - probably en route to Blackpool airport.

Rod

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It was a decent day today and, apart from a bit of shopping, I had nothing planned so I thought I'd have an operating session.

Now, the layout is getting a bit near its maximum capacity with the increase in parcels vehicles and I've decided that, to make it work efficiently, I need a parcels train and a passenger train in the station area all the time.  So at the start of the session, things look like this:

20220712_153155.thumb.jpg.c763ede28fa2db154844cbd0eb2f4c42.jpg

20220712_153235.thumb.jpg.764085e0bbd6eeca64ba413eb0a0f2ea.jpg

Just a shunter in the stabling point, a parcels train that arrived at the start of the signalman's shift and the first passenger train of the day in platform 1.

The fiddle yard looks like this:

20220712_153310.thumb.jpg.c855bee4d05d8437a4091a23202eb6ad.jpg

20220712_153334.thumb.jpg.7db161c4f024b785bb7ac4640a5d9455.jpg

Passenger and parcels DMUs in the main roads and 2 locos and 4 parcels vehicles in the kick-back sidings.  And I've still got 1, maybe 2, bogie parcels vehicles to add!!

However, before I actually got started, I got a reminder that the ground signals on the stabling point headshunt and the 2 Down sidings will clear when the curved crossover on the approach tracks is set against the permitted route, although they should be interlocked to prevent this happening..  This has annoyed me for a while so I decided to have a quick look at it and see if I could sort it.  See the next post for the continuation (I can't add another pic to this one!!)

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 12

Continued ............

The other signals that are interlocked with this crossover all worked as they should - the interlocking was effective - so that didn't point to the Tortoise microswitch playing up.  After 3 hours - yes, 3!! - I finally found the problem.  It's to do with this diode matrix and one of the copper tracks on the back of the board - where the yellow wire now is, at the bottom of the board:

20220712_185007.thumb.jpg.ed1c850b8aa6bf3e14ba18fce19e09e6.jpg

I found that signal 44 (the left hand pin) was interlocking correctly but the other 3 weren't.  Circuit testing between the 3 pins on the right showed perfect closed circuits but the test between the left hand pin and the other 3 showed either an open one or a closed one with high resistance.  Clipping a wire between the left hand pin and one of the others sorted the problem immediately so I assume something has happened to the track on the back of the board (I didn't take it off to find out!!)  Originally all the interlocking worked perfectly so what has happened since, I haven't a clue!!

The yellow wire is now soldered on and the interlocking works as it should.  Big sigh of relief!!!

I never got a decent running session, though, and the next couple of days I'm busy so it could be Friday before I try again - I even had my camera ready for stills and a video!!  Hopefully soon!

In the meantime, I've decided that I really have no room on the layout for 2 preserved steam sets - if I do use 2, all the parcels stock and the locos have to come off, which is a bit of a bind.  So, after a lot of soul searching, I'm going to sell the GW 0-4-2 Tank and the 2 autocoaches.  I can't sell them on here - I'll put them on the G0G site but if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll send more information.

So ... all being well, I'll operate on Friday and you might just see a new video soon - featuring parcels stock shunting!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

So far, I'm afraid, the video hasn't materialised - as my efforts have been channelled elsewhere: in getting the 2nd ex-LMS FB ready for running.  This is now done: the new bogies are fitted, as are the Dingham couplings, and everything works as it should.

I thought it might be useful if I summarised all my parcels stock - so here goes.  First up the "loose" parcels vehicles:

20220716_182249.thumb.jpg.c6e2f417ba7a85f7c1e1c124b1e037f6.jpg

From the left, a 57' ex-LMS FB, followed by a 50' one: then a BR GUV, a BR Palvan, a BR 12T van and finally an ex-Blue Spot refrigerated van converted to parcels operation.  The bogies on the 2 ex-LMS FBs need painting, as does the last vehicle - which will also be blue, Express Parcels branded.  These 3, I think, will be ideal jobs for the next few days of the heatwave - and I may as well paint the seagulls, too!!

Also in the parcels stock is a 3-coach train of Mark 1 BGs, semi-permanently coupled together, using KDs:

20220716_182409.thumb.jpg.1913aba4725fa537fde28d64700b36e3.jpg

Then there's the ex-Railair Express Parcels unit:

20220716_182948.thumb.jpg.ef9d26ee13857845e3b569281e234342.jpg

and finally, the class 131:

20220716_183256.thumb.jpg.24f3a4bec1aade7854d290ea342127ef.jpg

Quite a bit of stock when you look at it like that!!  There's also an ex-LNER 63' FB but I can't fit that on the layout so that is going to be on the G0G sales site shortly.**

Added to this lot, there's 4 DMU sets (2x 2-car, 1x 3-car and 1x 4-car) plus a DEMU, so it's understandable why I say the layout's full!!

So, ..... it will be painting on the agenda for the next few days by the looks of it.  Watch this space!!

More soon.

Rod

**  PS  The Heljan fuel tanker will also be sold as the wheels don't like the 31.5mm pointwork.  It will be replaced by a kit-built one of some sort.  Any suggestions for one that would be running in the 70s/80s?

Edited by Dmudriver
Change 16T to 12T.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

There's also an ex-LNER 63' FB but I can't fit that on the layout so that is going to be on the G0G sales site shortly.**

Alternatively use it to replace one of the BGs in the fixed rake for variety.  Or does the extra 6’ foul up standing room?

Paul.

On 16/07/2022 at 21:52, 5BarVT said:

Alternatively use it to replace one of the BGs in the fixed rake for variety.  Or does the extra 6’ foul up standing room?

Paul.

To be quite honest, Paul, I like the uniformity of 3x Mark 1 BGs!!  The other 6 "loose" vehicles will create ample shunting opportunities and variations in train length, too.  I've decided that maximum train length for the mail order depot will be equal to 4x 57' bogie vehicles.   The length of that ex-LNER one does cut down the options a bit!!

Rod

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 21:55, Jon Fitness said:

Re the tank wagon, can you not swap out the wheelsets or tweak the back to back to improve the running?

Hi Jon.  I tried to get the wheelsets out but that would have been impossible without some pretty severe surgery.  What I did do, though was to play about with the B2B - one wheelset needed moving out a tad and the other one moving in the same!!  Also, I resoldered one of the point blades on the curved crossover as that was a bit tight - though only this vehicle complained!!

When I say "played about with", it was literally just that: I didn't use a back to back gauge but just kept twisting the wheels on the axles until they rode through the pointwork smoothly!!  So now it won't be destined for the Sales section on the G0G website!!

Rod

• Like 2

On 17/07/2022 at 16:51, 313201 said:

I must admit I have never heard of or seen Easybuild bogies before but I would definitely say they look the part.

Also that pivot would be handy because for any layout which has a gradient, they would allow an easy transition from level to going up or down the gradient.

They also run extremely smoothly, too!  Provided, that is, you don't get a bit of paint in a bearing, which is what I managed to do this afternoon!!  I've sorted it now, though!!

• Like 1

A bit of progress today - in that heat!!  Fortunately, my modelling room was a bit cooler than outside, but even so, the paint dried very quickly!

I did the bogies on the 2 ex-LMS FBs - and managed to forget about the seagulls!!!   Those will be for another day.  Here's what the FBs  look like now - 57':

20220719_183232.jpg.69defc20c0183ac958c7f510e5447e5d.jpg

and 50'

20220719_183246.jpg.156a3f45a86b002ac332ed40fe717b41.jpg

The seagulls will be painted but not weathered!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

The seagulls will be painted but not weathered!

Maybe not, but they are pretty good at applying “weathering”…

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

The eagle has landed - well, not quite, but the seagulls have!!  I finally got round to painting them (got a bit more time now that the schools have finished for summer!!) and they're now on the layout

Two are on the station canopy, marking the location of the uncoupling magnets, with another one on a flat roof behind the station:

20220726_132419.jpg.8d74e1697d5c294fb47a31ca237888f3.jpg

There's another on another flat roof near the end of the platform:

20220726_132506.jpg.7e98c70bff72b031df5bf51e5c19ff07.jpg

and finally, 3 on the fire station roof and one on top of the training tower:

20220726_132632.jpg.dca88b04177d244403289b8429ac5f3f.jpg

I quite enjoyed doing that and have thought about getting a few more, but really I should be thinking about detailing the scenery generally.  Something to think about while I'm out walking!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 13:53, Dmudriver said:

The eagle has landed - well, not quite, but the seagulls have!!  I finally got round to painting them (got a bit more time now that the schools have finished for summer!!) and they're now on the layout

Two are on the station canopy, marking the location of the uncoupling magnets, with another one on a flat roof behind the station:

20220726_132419.jpg.8d74e1697d5c294fb47a31ca237888f3.jpg

There's another on another flat roof near the end of the platform:

20220726_132506.jpg.7e98c70bff72b031df5bf51e5c19ff07.jpg

and finally, 3 on the fire station roof and one on top of the training tower:

20220726_132632.jpg.dca88b04177d244403289b8429ac5f3f.jpg

I quite enjoyed doing that and have thought about getting a few more, but really I should be thinking about detailing the scenery generally.  Something to think about while I'm out walking!!

More soon.

Rod

Like the addition of the seagulls which are plentiful in the location modelled. This will of course now lead to further weathering requirements as we all know what a mess the birds leave around their regular roosting spots …..maybe some passengers might get ‘lucky’ 😬

• Like 1