West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hello Rod I don't do much with the DCC settings but the reset back to 3 has caught me out a few times and probably will again.

Did/have you found any cause for the malfunction of the chip or was it just the electrickery gremlins getting the better of you.?

Best

Edited by Barnaby

26 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Rod I don't do much with the DCC settings but the reset back to 3 has caught me out a few times and probably will again.

Did/have you found any cause for the malfunction of the chip or was it just the electrickery gremlins getting the better of you.?

Best

Hi Barnaby.

I really don't know what the problem was with those 2 units.  I suspect it was something to do with the settings for advanced consisting, especially as the 101 has also been so set up: I did try and multi the 128 and the 131 up via this advanced consisting but when I went to start the engines there was nothing and then they wouldn't move.  I didn't involve the 101 at all and that is fine.

The 2 DPUs were on the same siding but I ran trains up and down that siding afterwards and there was no problem.  So it's a mystery - but I don't intend to spend any more time on it!!  I'm now looking at Sprogs (thank you, Regularity!) and for a tablet with a USB port - mine hasn't got one.  Otherwise I've something like 35 CVs to change on each unit and on a Lenz LH100 it's a bit laborious!!

Rod

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rod

ive not used a Sprog so can’t make a comparison, but the Lenz USB LAN DCC interface is a handy beast, as it allows you to use a computer to program the locos, and keep the data files too, using eg JMRI.  Additionally, you can use an old mobile phone as an additional wireless throttle with a suitable app.  I have an iPad & iphone  with Touchcab, but there are Android apps too.

Perhaps worth a look.

atb

Simon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Rod

ive not used a Sprog so can’t make a comparison, but the Lenz USB LAN DCC interface is a handy beast, as it allows you to use a computer to program the locos, and keep the data files too, using eg JMRI.  Additionally, you can use an old mobile phone as an additional wireless throttle with a suitable app.  I have an iPad & iphone  with Touchcab, but there are Android apps too.

Perhaps worth a look.

atb

Simon

I've got one of those, Simon - I used it with a router and an iPhone to use Touchcab.

However, I seem to think it only programmes Lenz decoders.  Is this correct?  I seem to recall years ago using it with a laptop (admittedly an old one!) and I couldn't change any ESU decoders, which was all I had at the time.  Now they are ESU and Zimo with one Lenz purely used for lighting.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi Rod,

I haven’t played with it for years.  I do recall there was something about Lenz decoders, but I'm pretty sure I programmed all my locos with it, most are Zimo, a few ESU.

I’ll have a play & let you know...

cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having been a bit fazed by doing about 35 CVs on 2 DMUs on a Lenz handset (although I have done it before) and looking for a new challenge, I've been researching Sprogs and JMRI.  A Sprog 2 is now paid for and I am awaiting delivery: JMRI and Java are now downloaded onto my computer, so .....  let the fun begin!!

No doubt I'll get a bit frustrated here and there but I believe you should never stop learning (or trying to learn), however old you are.  

I'll use my rolling road attached to the Sprog and that attached to my PC, so I can programme in the house - and test on the rolling road - and it saves me buying a laptop or USB equipped tablet.

In the meantime I can use the 2 DPUs on the supplied settings.

Updates - for good or bad!! - will follow soon.

Rod

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rod,

I just had a play (young sir is home from university, and would insist on watching City, rather than the ‘pool in the Champions League, no idea why, he’s a Gooner, don’t understand that either  :( ) with JMRI.

I de-installed it all, as it’s a couple of years since I used it on my previous laptop, and I wasn’t convinced that it was properly installed on the new one, and then clean installed 4.22.  It all went in ok, and connected correctly, and I had a quick go at changing speed steps on my Ixion Fowler, which has a Zimo decoder.  It worked.

Given your purchase, I’m not sure if that helps you but it has got me off my backside and reorganising my locos...

cheers

Simon

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, Simond said:

Rod,

I just had a play (young sir is home from university, and would insist on watching City, rather than the ‘pool in the Champions League, no idea why, he’s a Gooner, don’t understand that either  :( ) with JMRI.

I de-installed it all, as it’s a couple of years since I used it on my previous laptop, and I wasn’t convinced that it was properly installed on the new one, and then clean installed 4.22.  It all went in ok, and connected correctly, and I had a quick go at changing speed steps on my Ixion Fowler, which has a Zimo decoder.  It worked.

Given your purchase, I’m not sure if that helps you but it has got me off my backside and reorganising my locos...

cheers

Simon

Thanks for that, Simon.    If I'd stuck with it, I'd have had to buy a new, more advanced tablet than the one I've got or a small laptop and the Sprog is much cheaper compared to those alternatives. 

Thanks for trying though - and now you do know you can do it on that device!!

Rod

• Agree 1

This is becoming a bit like a diary - so here we go .... "Dear diary" .....

Whilst waiting for the revised Y points and the Sprog to arrive I decided this afternoon to sort out a job that's needed doing for a while.  The prototype 3-car 108s had 2 power cars but I felt 2 motors (and chips) would be overkill in the model, so I through-wired the sound and lights.  Connection is by 2 and 3 pin sockets between coaches.

Over time the lights on the unpowered power car(!!) have stopped working so I set to.  It turns out one of the wires to the plug on the (actual) power car had become unsoldered and another came unsoldered when I gave it a gentle test tug.   So, soldered them back again and only the white lights came on - no reds!!   Checked every connection and all joints were OK.  It turned out I'd put the 3-pin socket on the middle car upside down.  Doh!!!  Sorted, then shunted the unit to the back of the layout. 

I then decided to shunt the 2-car 108 to one of the platforms.  As soon as I reversed the point from the Down Main to platform 1, the whole layout shorted!!  Cue lots of testing, including unfastening the wire from the point Tortoise to the frog.  That worked until the unit ran over it and then everything shorted again!!  Copious amounts of contact cleaner sprayed into the contacts of the relevant Tortoises produced no answer.  Eventually it turned out the cause was a closed-up insulation gap!!  When I'd put the first new point in, I'd obviously shifted the rail leading to the frog of the existing point, though why it hadn't shorted before is a mystery - it's not been that hot in the shed.

So, all is now sorted and while it took longer than I planned, I did get a lot of satisfaction out of the exercise: I do enjoy problem solving!!  Just as well, really!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

So I got the Sprog set up and started looking at DecoderPro last night.  There is so much stuff in it!!  However, I've now narrowed it down to creating a roster, entering/changing CVs and using the throttle.

I set up the 131 first and it was jigging about on the rolling road as the chip was read and today I finally got to reset the CVs to how I wanted them.  Tried it on the rolling road.  Nothing, absolutely nothing!! - no lights no sound, no movement.  Even took it onto the layout and tried it there: just the same - nothing.  Back onto the RR and I then noticed that somehow CV29 was entered as 6.  Altered that to 38 and the 131 worked!!  A couple of minor glitches which turned out to be an entry in the wrong CV and a couple of incorrect entries in the CVs.

Then did the 128 (having checked CV 29 first) and it worked like a dream!!!

Have put another couple of items on the roster: will do the rest over the next couple of days.  All in all, quite pleased with myself - and thanks for pointing me in that direction, Regularity.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Glad to have helped. You should be able to save the configurations, and be able to restore them easily, and also use them as the basis for similar locos.

best,

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

What actually is a Sprog as a scouse a sprog is a baby.

I see DCC concepts sell them but in modeller speak what exactly are they and what can they do that I can't do on an isolated piece of track via my controller.

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Not just in Scouse land!

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

I see DCC concepts sell them but in modeller speak what exactly are they and what can they do that I can't do on an isolated piece of track via my controller.

As do Coastal DCC, Digitrains and others, but you can buy them directly from the maker: SPROG DCC On-line Shop (sprog-dcc.co.uk).

It is an interface between a computer and the track (a command station if you like but without any controller parts).  If you want, you can control trains with JMRI, but I use mine to do loco programming.  It doesn't do anything that you can't do from a controller, and if you use loconet as a command bus, it doesn't do anything that you can't do through that.

I use it to programme locos because the programme output on my command station doesn't work properly (!) and it was cheaper than buying a new command station.  The main benefit (IMO) is to allow me to use decoder pro as its much faster to programme, I can read everything back simply, and I can copy from loco to loco as Regularity mentioned above.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
clarity
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

And if you havea SPROG 3, an old laptop (say one suitable for Win 7), a copy of JMRI, an old Android phone or tablet capable of having EngineDriver installed on it, you can run a layout too*, with the phone/tablet as a remote handset!

Its not the way to go if you'd have to buy everything except the SPROG new, but if you have the stuff to hand, its a good way to do DCC control.

* With the SPROG 3, a reasonable size layout.  If you connect it via a booster, any size layout you like...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barnaby said:

It's just an interface between a DCC system and a computer. If you add a booster, then it can provide power to the layout and control via the computer. But it also allows you to connect to the Java Model Railroad Interface (JMRI) and gain access to useful software, such as decoder-pro.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

After all that activity a week or so ago, I've been a bit quiet but not inactive!!  I've entered a couple more locos onto Decoder Pro but I find sitting watching a screen clocking up numbers rather boring!!   I'll save it 'til the weather turns bad again!!

I've ballasted the new points and decided, after all, to spray them with track dirt.  Here's the finished job:

IMG_20210417_172200.jpg.0b2c9b62195ecf250586bdbdb46ca7f8.jpg

IMG_20210417_172219.jpg.b35337a0cd29122c32397615040a0748.jpg

Unfortunately Mike is struggling with the Y points and hasn't done them yet.  A pity as I could do with finishing this part of the layout off.  I'll have a word on Monday.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over 2 weeks since my last post!!  Anyway, Mike sent me the revised Y points last week, so now we're sucking diesel!!   (To use a Tedism from "Line of Duty").

I didn't need the complete kits, just the revised bases and new point blades.  The revised bases are much better, though not completely symmetrical, but as I've shown below, they work OK so far.  Here's what the base looks like before construction starts:

IMG_20210428_160046.jpg.4106427712b601f0e7475c8332c27731.jpg

It's a very cruel close-up but you'll see that the right hand stock rail is virtually straight compared to the left hand.  In practice it hasn't made a lot of difference to the running over it and the exit angles at the frog end are exactly right to replace the Peco point.  I've built the first one and here it is in place:

IMG_20210504_165603.jpg.6a2e68585576f5c05cecb19444eafa48.jpg

I've run a DMU and the 08 over it and they are both fine, on both routes.  I've bonded the blades to the stock rails (you can just see some black flexible wires near the toe) but I've left the common crossing isolated.  I've run the 08 over it slowly and it hasn't faltered so I'm going to leave it at that for now and see how it works in service.  I've ordered 2x hand operated point levers from Marcway to operate the points but they've not arrived yet.

I've attached the common crossing to the second point and here are the 2 of them set up:

IMG_20210504_165816.jpg.576580c88c373f80959eff9741fed910.jpg

I've cut the stock rails and I'll finish that point pretty soon, I hope.

One thing I got wrong was to put the set one sleeper too far towards the frog on the first point - you can see it on the nearer stock rail in the second pic.  For the second point it's in the right place so I'll have just that extra bit of length in the blades.  Nevertheless, as I said above, the DMU and 08 ran through it fine and this is a slow speed stabling area anyway.  It's just annoying that I got it wrong!!!

More soon.

Rod

PS  It's a shame "Line of Duty" has finished - I enjoyed that - even the last episode on Sunday!!  I actually binge-watched it from series 1, episode 1 as bits of series 6 were referring to people from earlier in the series I couldn't remember!!

Edited by Dmudriver
spelling
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More progress!!  The second Y point is virtually finished.  It just needs the bonding wires soldering between blades and stock rails and the blades soldering to the pins in the tie bars.  The latter 2 are not big jobs but I just didn't fancy doing them tonight!  Tomorrow, all being well.  Then I'll stain the sleepers and ballast them once I've got the Marcway point levers: for now, though, Blutac will have to do in place of point levers!!  Here's how the 2 Y points look now.  From the headshunt end:

IMG_20210506_211828.jpg.fbbe226a6e483ab8a7087610b448c59e.jpg

And from the siding end:

IMG_20210506_211849_1.jpg.b55b0fb21cfd316fdfeabb35b052377b.jpg

Finally .... the Triffids are back!!

IMG_20210506_212847.jpg.036fbc9e1ca60335fa332c3d607bd6d0.jpg

More soon.

Rod

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Rod - you'll be back to full operations in no time ... no doubt the population of West Kirby will be glad when the current 'Engineering Works' and 'bus replacement' services finish!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Looking good Rod - you'll be back to full operations in no time ... no doubt the population of West Kirby will be glad when the current 'Engineering Works' and 'bus replacement' services finish!

Rich

7 hours ago, pwr said:

ooh yes don't forget to post a picture of the bus!!!

Paul R

I expect the engineering works have been timed to occur whilst the Open Championship is taking place at the Royal Liverpool golf club! At least then the golf can be blamed for the delays...

Edited by Hroth
tense...
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, pwr said:

ooh yes don't forget to post a picture of the bus!!!

Paul R

Is there a bridge over the railway on which to place it, though?

• Funny 2