West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hi all.

Another video for you!!  I had a couple of pals round last week, one of whom had a small video camera.  He's put a 20 minute video of the layout on Youtube - this includes a cab ride from about 13.00 onwards.  Enjoy!

The link is:  

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6

We've had some decent weather up here today, so I've taken the opportunity to get the Outer signals working - and I've done it successfully, complete with lights.

I've taken a couple of pictures: the first in the Up direction:

post-7571-0-20847300-1408727351_thumb.jpg

and the second in the Down:

post-7571-0-44056400-1408727361_thumb.jpg

This pic shows the GF Controls operating unit.  I had at first planned to put it on the back wall, but eventually decided to leave it screwed onto the baseboard.  Eventually it will be covered by scenery (removable is the plan!!)

I'm now planning to interlock those signals with the double slip so that I won't be able to clear the signal if running past would create a short on the slip.  I've not quite worked it out in my head yet, but I'm getting there!!

In one of my previous posts describing the tarmacing of the DMU stabling point I noted the walkways across the tracks were different lengths but that they would "do".  Well, I decided that they wouldn't "do", so I tore up the shorter one and rebuilt it.  Here's how they look now:

post-7571-0-48758300-1408727372_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with that!!  The nearer one looks longer but that's distortion caused by the camera being close to the layout.

I've started cutting out paving stones for the platform edge - scale 3' x 2'.  The intention then is to tarmac the platform in between the paving.  It's all fiddly but, based on the stabling point, the result will be worth it.  That will be a bad weather job, starting ballasting the tracks to the fiddle yard will be the next good weather job.  More of both as I progress.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10

More decent weather today, so I got on with the ballasting.  I only had time to lay and tidy up the ballast - the glueing will have to wait for a day or two.  I also ran out - 2 bags wasn't enough so a visit to the model shop is called for.

This is how it looks - from just inside the shed to as far as I've got - and that is just short of the 2 Outer signals:

post-7571-0-51599200-1408893841_thumb.jpg

and a second, close up pic:

post-7571-0-95489400-1408893850_thumb.jpg

This one also shows the "tools" I use - a medicine spoon to lay the ballast, the old make up brush (no, not mine!!) for the initial spreading and the toothbrush for the final spreading and tamping.

The forecast isn't good for tomorrow so I'll probably work on the platform, assuming I have railway time available!!

Rod

• Like 9

I've got some more work done in the last few days - the time I've got available for working on the layout will change soon when the kids are back at school!!!

I've finished the ballasting of the outside track and sprayed it, too.  This is what it looks like, looking towards the shed (left) and then away towards the scenic break:

post-7571-0-59094600-1409309224_thumb.jpg       post-7571-0-06106700-1409309236_thumb.jpg

I've also now interlocked the Outer signals with the double slip so that it's very difficult to create a short by running through an incorrectly set point.  The proviso is that 2 buttons have to be pressed!!  

I've also altered the wiring on the fiddle yard control panel so that now there's only 2 buttons to press to set up a route instead of 3.  Here are 2 pics of the panel - the top is the original and the other as it is now:

post-7571-0-38221500-1409309251_thumb.jpg   

post-7571-0-14719000-1409309265_thumb.jpg

I've taken out the middle 2 buttons and wired the 4 road switches so that 1 & 2 now change the blades on the double slip originally changed by the top middle button, and 3 & 4 the blades changed by the bottom one.  It works!!  I tried all 8 alternatives - by pressing the buttons, walking out and doing a physical check!!  Simpler, but I only realised this could work during the process of working out how to interlock the signals!!

So that's it for now, more soon.  I think the platform surface may be next on the agenda, but I'll see how things turn out.

Rod

• Like 6

Lovely work Rod the panel above must qualify as an Entrance-Exit panel.

Simon

Thanks, Simon.  I did wonder about describing it as that, but the 4 roads are dead ends so I didn't think it would qualify!!!

Rod

Hi all.

As I suggested I might, I've done a bit of testing on the platforms and it looks as though the tarmac idea will work.  I just did a short test stretch - pictures here:

post-7571-0-64436000-1409501433_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-04665900-1409501445_thumb.jpg

I did it yesterday but then this morning was too impatient (again!!!!) and, thinking it had dried, tried to smooth it with a track rubber.  Big mistake!!!  It hadn't dried properly.  [When will I learn??!!]  However, I added some more cinders, smoothed them - very gently - and glued them again.  Looking much better now and I'll leave it alone for a couple of days!!  I've got the other end of the platform to keep filling and goodness knows how many paving stones to cut out, so there's plenty to do!!

The stones on the back platform edge are the less-than-perfect ones I cut.  I've used them at the back platform as they won't be too obvious once painted and the canopy is fitted.  

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Rod

the second photo, with the dirty ballast and tracks framing it - it really could be the real thing!

what do you think the minimum "rolled down" thickness of the tarmac should be?  Presumably, if/when I shamelessly copy you, I would want to make the edging slabs the same or thereabouts?

best

Simon

Hi Simon.

Thanks for the comment about the track in the second pic.  Looking at it, the rubbish on the track is mostly scrapings from the resin platform edges.  I had planned to hoover it all off when I'd finished - maybe I'll now leave the smaller bits on the track!!

As regards the thickness of the tarmac, here's the second pic above cropped differently:

post-7571-0-77511700-1409571679_thumb.jpg

It shows what is under the paving stones.  Those are of 0.5mm plasticard; there's a 0.5 mm groove in the resin edging which needs filling and in places the timber has warped downwards slightly so that needs a bit more filling.  So, on the left the plasticard is about 1mm thick (plus a layer of glue inbetween), on the right about 1.5mm:  add to this a dip in the centre of the timber so we're talking about 2.0/2.5mm, maybe 3mm at the max, thickness of the tarmac.

Because the fine cinders are so fine, there's no problem in spreading them to cover the unpainted timber underneath.  I suppose if the tarmac is really thin you could paint the wood, but I wouldn't recommend then spreading the cinders/tarmac until the paint is completely dry!!  Particularly if you're as impatient as I have been!!

I've put the new paving stones on top of the resin edging as 1) the spacing on the resin wasn't consistent and 2) I'd have had to cut the slabs shorter to get the right 3' scale length and there'd have been a joint to try and fill.  This raises the platform height by only 0.5mm and does look much better.

HTH.

Rod

• Like 1

re post 563 (since I can't seem to reply with quoted post at the moment)

Isn't the term 'entry - exit' for the 'route' rather than the physical geography?

Rgds

During my time at signalling school "NX panel - Entrance Exit" was applied based on the method of setting the route i.e. you set the route from the first controlled signal to the next controlled signal (I worked Bescot and Derby which were both Westinghouse NX panels).

Hi.

I've been making more progress with the platform but not as much as I'd have liked as, with the weather being decent, I've had a couple of "playdays"!!  This time I tried operating without the 03 shunter and having a spare loco in the station - quite fascinating!!

Here's a pic of a full fiddle yard: 

post-7571-0-57151500-1409920187_thumb.jpg  

and the Thumper passing the Down Outer Home signal:

post-7571-0-92885800-1409920203_thumb.jpg

Back to the platform!  I've found I can spread the fine cinders more evenly if I use a 12" steel ruler as that's not as flexible as the 6" I was using before.  Also the tarmac laying isn't as fast as I'd like as I have to cut the paving slabs - and there's a lot of them!!  [Just added more plasticard to my shopping list for Telford tomorrow!!!]  This is where I've got to so far:

post-7571-0-42637400-1409920215_thumb.jpg

That's about 2' out of 8'!!  A different angle:

post-7571-0-80075300-1409920226_thumb.jpg

And a close up of a 108 beside the tarmaced platform:

post-7571-0-42850500-1409920238_thumb.jpg

I've found that, once it's properly dry, it can be sanded to get rid of most of the imperfections - hence the greyish look to it.  All in all, I'm happy with the way it's going.  I'm aiming to finish it very soon as, hopefully, I'll be picking up the awning at Telford.

To those who are going to Telford tomorrow, have a good day.  May your wallets and credit cards still have something left by the time you leave!!

Rod

PS   Just noticed a trip hazard in the near paving on the last pic.   Ooops!

• Like 6

I don't often comment, but always following.

On this occasion I'm prompted by your tarmac:

At first I wondered why you don't just use something like sandpaper or glass paper - whatever grade would look reasonable once painted to represent the surface.

But the last pictures posted illustrate the answer perfectly.

What a superb job you've done! The minute irregularities in what is ostensibly a consistent texture really makes all the difference. Very convincing and most impressive.

Ultimately I can see this layout is a labour of love and it really shows :`)

Edited by Southernboy