West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Seeing the pics of Central station and your comments about the electric railway under the Mersey has brought back lots of fond memories of family holidays spent at New Brighton. We always took a train to Liverpool - I seem to think it was called "The Manxman" and transferred to the electric train to cross under the river to New Brighton. I seem to remember that New Brighton station was in a bit of a cutting and quite compact but I could be very wrong on this point as I was very young at the time. As a child I could not imagine how a railway could go "under water" through a tunnel without getting wet lol! It was great fun and I enjoyed every visit we made.

One of the highlights of our visits was to travel on the Liverpool Overhead Railway (The Dockers Umbrella) where fantastic views presented themselves of all the docks and the ship from all over the world. I remember seeing some of the Empress series of passenger ships - a great sight. On more than one occasion my father took me on a bit of a wander around the dock area where all sorts of small tank engines fussed about with various wagons shoving them here and there and getting them ready for their next trip. Tracks in the street, sharp curves, and lots of interesting places which today no longer exist.

As we say "Ah happy days"

Rod

Hi Rod,

Been a while since I took the train to New Brighton, given I'm now 58, I'd guess, 41 years, as once I could drive...

From a hazy memory, the line came over Leasowe road on an overbridge, think that's Wallasey Village station, and then from there, it ran down to the coast, under a bridge, made a right turn parallel to the prom, and ran along the edge of the scarp, and into the station. I think there is a retaining wall one one side, but I think the other side would be more or less level with the surrounding ground, which is dropping quite steeply towards the coast (of course!)

My mum was born and grew up in Wallasey. We were chatting about the environs, and I was surprised to discover that there had been a branch from Bidston, around the Summers loading areas, through a cutting (which is now the entrance to the Wallasey road tunnel) to Seacombe, where there had been a small terminus, close to the ferry. The Wikipedia entry is interesting. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seacombe_railway_station

I do recall small diesels around the Birkenhead docks, and the Summers ore trains. Can't say that I ever saw a 9F on them tho'. My recollections of steam are sadly rather limited - a Jinty (maybe) and a 4-6-0 which was probably a Black 5, or something similar, both in Liverpool stations - Lime St, or maybe Central. :(.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

You ain't gonna like me for this!! Here's one:

http://www.emus.co.uk/503bnth.jpg

Pity it's in black and white!!!! The caption says it's in green. It's from this web page:

http://www.emus.co.uk/503.htm

Apart from that, I can't find any pix of green ones, either.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 1

Hi Rod.

Yes, the train to Liverpool could well have been "The Manxman": it was one of 3 Liverpool - London named trains: the others being "The Merseyside Express" and "The Red Rose". My Dad used to take me on the Overhead, too - usually on a Sunday afternoon. He used to work for the Blue Funnel line so I always looked out for "daddy's ships"!!! They were usually in or around Gladstone Dock. Ah, happy days!!

There's some New Brighton photos here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&qpvt=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&qpvt=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&FORM=IGRE.

They might bring back a memory or two. There's photos of the station as well. There's also 2 or 3 of Seacombe amongst them, which may interest Simon. Talking of Seacombe, Simon, have a look at this site:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/seacombe/index.shtml

Actually, I did wonder about modelling Seacombe or New Brighton but it was the pointwork at West Kirby station throat that appealed to me most - a bit out of the ordinary. If I'd had a completely empty canvas and loads more space (and money!!), I'd have modelled Liverpool Central - the high level one, but I hadn't , so I didn't!!

Rod

Edit. There is a model railway Group in Birkenhead who are modelling New Brighton - Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, Mike (if you read this!!)

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi all.

In between all the reminiscing, there is some work being done!! Not on the layout, but on the stock. I've now fitted the sugar cube speakers to the 3-car 108 - one to each power car. I'm pleased with the different sound that I get from them.

I'd put a photo or two on, including the 2-car 108, but they'd be just the same as this one from a month or two back:

post-7571-0-60061100-1451777975_thumb.jpg

That's 2 under the 131.

So it's now onto the 115 and when that's done, maybe I'll try a video of them all.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 3

Hi Andy.You ain't gonna like me for this!! Here's one:http://www.emus.co.uk/503bnth.jpgPity it's in black and white!!!! The caption says it's in green. It's from this web page:http://www.emus.co.uk/503.htmApart from that, I can't find any pix of green ones, either.Rod

Thanks Rod, had seen those two pages.

"For those watching in black and white, the pink is just next to the blue" :)

Hi Rod.Yes, the train to Liverpool could well have been "The Manxman": it was one of 3 Liverpool - London named trains: the others being "The Merseyside Express" and "The Red Rose". My Dad used to take me on the Overhead, too - usually on a Sunday afternoon. He used to work for the Blue Funnel line so I always looked out for "daddy's ships"!!! They were usually in or around Gladstone Dock. Ah, happy days!!There's some New Brighton photos here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&qpvt=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&qpvt=New+Brighton+wirral+railway+station&FORM=IGRE.They might bring back a memory or two. There's photos of the station as well. There's also 2 or 3 of Seacombe amongst them, which may interest Simon. Talking of Seacombe, Simon, have a look at this site:http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/seacombe/index.shtmlActually, I did wonder about modelling Seacombe or New Brighton but it was the pointwork at West Kirby station throat that appealed to me most - a bit out of the ordinary. If I'd had a completely empty canvas and loads more space (and money!!), I'd have modelled Liverpool Central - the high level one, but I hadn't , so I didn't!!RodEdit. There is a model railway Group in Birkenhead who are modelling New Brighton - Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, Mike (if you read this!!)

Rod

Brilliant link to the disused railways, thanks!

Best

Simon

Hi all.

Work continued on fitting speakers to the 115 - and has finished!!  I had planned, as I've said, to put 2x 8 ohm speakers, wired in parallel under each (which would give 4 ohms, obviously), but a thought struck me in the middle of the night that the chips are Zimo and need 8 ohm speakers (8 ohms were previously fitted).  So I checked the manual and also looked on a couple of threads on here and the consensus was that the manual says 8 ohms, so use 8 ohms!! 

Which means I used just one speaker under each vehicle.  Having fitted and tested them, one is more than enough!!  I hadn't altered the settings from Newcastle exhibition and I'd forgotten I'd put them up to 150 (out of 255 on a Zimo speaker) so when I started the first one, it nearly deafened me!!  I've now got them both on 20, and that's plenty loud enough for my shed.  Here's how the underside of the 2 power cars look:

post-7571-0-48458800-1451945983_thumb.jpg

And here are the speakers, closer up:

post-7571-0-58217000-1451945988_thumb.jpg   Tiny, but they make a lot of noise!!

What this means is that I've got 2 sugar cube speakers left over so it looks like one of the kettles will be fitted with them.  When that will be, though, I don't know: I've still got to send the damaged chip back to SWD who will doubtless send it back to Germany.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

It's been a while!!  However, I've not been idle - various little jobs have been done, from lubricating stock, to resetting CVs, to fixing non-functioning point blades.. I've made some progress on the fuelling point, too.  I'm having 3 pals round tomorrow (fellow operators on "Apethorne Junction") and I've set various bits up - even though they're not finished - so I thought I'd take some pics.

Prior to that, though, I had a bit of a panic: for no apparent reason, my Lenz DCC set-up froze.  Well, that's the best way I can describe it: the 2 handsets just displayed "LH-100" and wouldn't alter, whatever buttons I pressed!!  After wafting out the blue air and having had my tea, I decided the best thing was to disconnect everything and start again.  And it worked!!!  I was so close to ringing my pals and saying "Don't come!!"

Anyway, here are the pics I took.  First, a look at the building site!!

post-7571-0-96258400-1452893495_thumb.jpg

The unpainted fuel island can be made out in front of the fuel tank.  The portacabin is sitting on wooden blocks as the legs, being of lasercut board are not very strong and easily break.  I'll cut down the blocks a bit and then paint them black.  I'll build up the ground around the legs to make it look as if they're actually taking the weight.   The furniture is to go into the portacabin once it's decorated: let's hope the rain holds off!!  In the foreground, by the portacabin, is one of the handpoint levers (the other is by the fuel point):  these need lowering a bit but they give an idea of where stuff will go.   Next, a view from outside the fence.  As I said, it's a building site, but I wanted an idea of how things will look.  It also motivates me to get them finished, too.

post-7571-0-59403300-1452893503_thumb.jpg

Third, a closer view of the fuelling point and 3 DMUs lined up ready for the morning's duties:

post-7571-0-93081900-1452893512_thumb.jpg

Next, a view of virtually the whole layout inside the shed (the Inner Home signal and the bridge before the hole in the wall are just behind/beneath the camera) with all the stock except for the Coal Tank and the fuel tanker.  The stock in the platforms and the 2 left hand sidings, but not the parcels train behind the 33 on the right, is destined for the fiddle yard for the start of the operating session.

post-7571-0-66540000-1452893542_thumb.jpg

Next, a view from the platform of the 37 at Platform 1 and the shunter and Welsh Dragon set in the Down sidings:

post-7571-0-78061500-1452893526_thumb.jpg

I've said before that I want some clutter on the match truck coupled to the 03 shunter and here's some (also still unpainted).  There should be 2 bikes, but the handlebars have fallen off one so it's on my workbench waiting to be fixed.

post-7571-0-65563800-1452893535_thumb.jpg

Next, a view of the station area from the roof of the 115!!:

post-7571-0-31823200-1452893553_thumb.jpg

And finally, this little scene caught my eye, of 2 distinctly different forms of traction awaiting their turn to be released from the sidings:

post-7571-0-24754500-1452893558_thumb.jpg

So, that's it for now.  More soon - but fingers crossed everything works OK tomorrow!!!

Rod

EDIT to add PS       PS   How easy is it to learn to use Photoshop or something similar?  The background clutter in the shed detracts a bit from one or two pictures.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 17

Good to see you back on here Rod .... nice DMU action there.

are you happy with the Toffees run ?

Best regards as always

Craig.

Hi Craig.

Thanks, Craig.

More than happy with the Toffees at the moment, though today's a big test. How're your team doing?

Rod

Hi Craig.

Thanks, Craig.

More than happy with the Toffees at the moment, though today's a big test. How're your team doing?

Rod

Good result for EFC today Rod, I know they where winning till late on though ............... The Shakers are on one of these at the moment Rod  :cry:

post-8721-0-42688400-1452964831.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

"How easy is it to learn to use Photoshop or something similar?"

I think Photoshop is relatively intuitive. Key features in this context are 'Levels' and 'Curves' which are great for balancing the light in a picture (particularly in bringing out details otherwise lost in shadow).

In terms of cutting out "background clutter" - there are a few techniques you can use, but they all require some degree of patience (there's no magic wand as such). 

I'm not sure though whether you can buy Photoshop as a stand-alone product these days, I think it is part of the Adobe Creative Suite which bundles in Illustrator and InDesign (which makes it £££).

Either way, I'm enjoying your layout / updates  :)

Edited by Southernboy